Help ‘fill the boot’ for MDAPublished 9:53pm Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Suffolk firefighters are fired up to help support the Muscular Dystrophy Association this week.
The annual “Fill the Boot” campaign begins Wednesday and continues through Friday. Firefighters will be at convenience stores, grocery stores and other locations scattered throughout the city to collect money to support the MDA.
“We’re trying to get as much as we can to support the MDA,” interim fire chief Ed Taylor said. “That’s one of the causes they really work at trying to raise money for.”
For 58 years, the Fill the Boot campaign has been a tradition among many fire departments throughout the country. The tradition began when the International Association of Fire Fighters committed its support in 1954.
Firefighters across the country have raised about $465 million for MDA since that time. Last year, firefighters in Hampton Roads raised nearly $210,000 filling the boot, and their goal for this year is $250,000.
“As far back as I can remember, firefighters have supported MDA,” Taylor said. “It’s been a history for many, many years.”
The MDA is a nonprofit agency dedicated to finding treatment and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases by funding research. It also provides health care and support services, advocacy and education.
Some of the firefighters collecting money will be off duty, but some will be on duty, Taylor said. Some locations will have fire trucks to attract more attention.
The firefighters will be collecting money from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the following locations:
- Walmart, 1200 N. Main St. and 6259 College Drive
- Chick-fil-A, 1018 N. Main St. and 6212 College Drive
- 7-Eleven, 2317 Holland Road and 6020 Godwin Blvd.
- Food Lion, 1010 Portsmouth Blvd., 1524 Holland Road, 2815 Godwin Blvd. and 3215 Bridge Road
- Farm Fresh, 3675 Bridge Road
- Walgreens, 2902 Godwin Blvd.
- Firehouse Subs, 1201 N. Main St.
- Raceway, 1216 Portsmouth Blvd.
- Kohl’s, 6253 College Drive
- Suffolk Mart, 6273 Holland Road
- Red Apple, 1139 Carolina Road
- J and L Food Mart, 6500 Whaleyville Blvd.