Foundation names new director, serves up fundraisersPublished 11:03pm Thursday, September 20, 2012
The Suffolk Education Foundation has hired a new executive director, with LeeAnn Azar moving into the role.
Azar previously worked in the private sector for 25 years, including as vice president of marketing with AmeriComm Direct Marketing LLC, and a publisher/manager with several tabloid newspapers.
Her first nonprofit management role was with The Hampton Roads Public Works Academy, where she started in 2009.
“Azar was selected based on her proven track record in administration, marketing and communications,” a foundation press release stated.
Azar received her MBA from Old Dominion University in 1994. She also holds bachelor’s degrees in communications and sociology.
She has also been Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters Circle president and chairperson of a local Cub Scout pack, among other roles.
Azar believes “giving back to the community is essential in my life and by working with the board to expand the educational opportunities available for Suffolk students and teachers, I fulfill this personal commitment,” according to the release.
David Mitnick, foundation Board of Directors president, stated: “We are delighted to have LeeAnn as our new executive director. She brings a unique skill set with her to the position. We are looking forward to building our presence in Suffolk with LeeAnn’s assistance.”
The Suffolk Education Foundation works to support Suffolk public schools by “connecting the community’s talents and resources to expand educational opportunities for students and staff,” the release states.
The foundation has also partnered with six Suffolk restaurants for its first annual Restaurant Month fundraiser. The restaurants will give a certain percentage of their sales on certain dates to the foundation.
Details are as follows:
- Tuesday, Oct. 2 — Ruby Tuesday, 2757 Godwin Blvd. Lunch and dinner — 20 percent donation.
- Week of Oct. 8-14 — Buffalo Wild Wings, 7386 Harbour View Blvd. Lunch, dinner and takeout — 10 percent donation.
- Tuesday, Oct. 16 — George’s Steak House, 1260 Holland Road, 5 p.m. through closing — donation level to be determined.
- Thursday, Oct. 18 — Applebee’s, 1206 N. Main St. Dinner — 20 percent donation.
- Tuesday, Oct. 23 — Chick-fil-A, 1018 N. Main St. 5-8 p.m. — 10 percent donation.
- Tuesday, Oct. 30 — Amici’s Pizza Café, 157 E. Washington St. 5 p.m. through closing – 10 percent donation.
Coupons are required for most restaurants and can be downloaded from the foundation website, www.suffolkeducationfoundation.org.
Call 650-1792 for more information or to have coupons mailed.