Roasted banana scones are loaded with flavorPublished 8:56pm Tuesday, September 25, 2012
By Janet Tharpe
One of Elvis Presley’s favorite foods was the peanut butter and banana sandwich. And for good reason — the combo is downright delicious.
Home cook Lori Roach takes this classic pairing to new heights with her Roasted Banana Scones. Caramelizing the bananas in the oven first amps up the flavor. A peanut butter glaze on top adds the perfect finish. Elvis would be proud.
See step-by-step photos of Lori’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks around the country can be found at www.justapinch.com/bananascones.
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win! Enjoy and remember, use “just a pinch.”
Janet Tharpe writes for the Just a Pinch Recipe Club at justapinch.com, where you can find these recipes and many others.
Roasted Banana Scones
3 medium bananas, sliced
2 tbsp. melted butter
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 large eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
Chopped peanuts, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bananas in medium baking dish. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake for 30 min, stirring occasionally until caramelized. Let cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, beat together two eggs, ricotta and roasted bananas with a handmixer. Mixture will be lumpy. Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir by hand until just combined.
- Drop dough into 12 equal mounds on baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake 25-30 min until golden brown.
- For glaze, place peanut butter and butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Place scones on wire rack over a baking sheet. Drizzle with glaze. Sprinkle with peanuts if desired.