Archived Story

Rape charges dropped

Published 10:14pm Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Charges have been dropped against a man arrested in August after a woman reported he attempted to rape her.

Charges against Travis Williams were dismissed for lack of probable cause, attorney Fred Taylor said. He had been charged with abduction and attempted rape.

The woman reported she had been raped on Aug. 18 at a party in the vicinity of Brook Avenue and Duke Street, according to a city spokeswoman at the time.

The woman said a man held her down and began having sex with her, and another man begin to touch her during that time.

The woman left the party and walked to her house, changed clothes and went to bed, according to the city spokeswoman at the time. When she woke up later and told her boyfriend about the incident, he took her to the police department.

“I believe yesterday’s outcome serves to vindicate my client, and our faith from the beginning of his innocence,” Taylor said. “Sadly, however, he spent nearly two months in jail waiting for justice to be served.”

A second man arrested in the case, William Jennings, was represented by public defender Jim Grandfield. The abduction charge against him was dismissed, but the rape charge will be heard by the grand jury.

PrintFriendly

Leave a comment

You must be a registered user and signed in to read and leave comments on this article.

Editor's Picks