Edwards swims into record booksPublished 10:13pm Tuesday, January 8, 2013
The Nansemond River High School boys’ and girls’ swim teams fell to Great Bridge in a meet on Saturday at the Great Bridge Swim and Racquet Club. The boys lost 118-65, and the girls were defeated 135-35.
Though NR head coach Shamus Riley wished the overall team scores had been closer, he felt positive overall about the meet.
“Honestly, I feel like my kids actually did very well,” he said.
Individual highlights revealed why he felt that way, as freshman Logan Eubanks continues to beat school records in the 100-meter butterfly. This time, he placed first in the event with a 1:08.73 time.
Riley was particularly excited by the way sophomore Cody Edwards performed in the 400-meter freestyle. It was only the second time Edwards had competed in the event, and he set a new school record with a time of 5:15.92. He placed second in the event at the meet.
“I told him, ‘Well, I think we found your calling,’” Riley said.
Edwards also set his best personal mark in the 200-meter individual medley with a third-place time of 2:54.44.
Senior Tyler Till recorded a new personal best in the 200-meter freestyle by placing first at the meet with a 2:25.76 time. Junior Jacob Hopple was close behind in the same event with a personal record of 2:27.90, good enough for second.
On the girls’ team, senior Sara Gallagher placed second in the 100-meter freestyle with a personal record of 1:13.54.
Following are more personal best times on the season set by NR swimmers at the Great Bridge meet:
- Hayley Meyer — 200 Free: 3:13.10; 400 Free: 6:55.99
- Beth Gover — 200 Free: 3:13.42
- Tayler Pearl — 200 IM: 3:42.18
- Joseph Pedersen — 50 Free: 31.03; 100 Free: 1:11.10
- Savana Chevalier — 50 Free: 34.97
- Kendall Webster — 50 Free: 36.76; 100 Free: 1:22.01
- Allyn Letourneau — 100 Fly: 1:25.57
- Felicia Elliot — 100 Fly: 1:43.28
- McKenna Hill — 100 Free: 1:29.23; 100 Back: 1:42.87
- Dawn Wright — 400 Free: 7:07.52
- Kyle Grisham — 100 Back: 1:36.32
- Natalie Kuhn — 100 Back: 1:40.89
- Sean Hinkle — 100 Breast: 1:39.04
- Abigail Stopyra — 100 Breast: 1:52.51
The boys’ team for NR is now 2-3 for the season, while the girls’ team is 0-5. Nansemond River will face Western Branch on Saturday at the Great Bridge Swim and Racquet Club.