Firefighters quickly controlled a grass fire near a neighborhood on Friday afternoon.
Firefighters quickly controlled a grass fire near a neighborhood on Friday afternoon.

Archived Story

Cigarette may have caused grass fire

Published 10:26pm Friday, March 15, 2013

Suffolk Fire and Rescue’s Engine 5 responded to a small grass fire opposite Creekside Elementary School shortly after 3 p.m. Friday.

The situation in Champions Park, on the corner of Huntclub Chase and Bennetts Creek Park Road, was brought under control within a couple of minutes, after about 1,000 square feet was burned.

Fire Capt. John Gray said a cigarette butt probably caused the blaze, which didn’t appear to have damaged park facilities.

PrintFriendly

Leave a comment

You must be a registered user and signed in to read and leave comments on this article.

Editor's Picks