Sports briefs for April 17Published 10:13pm Tuesday, April 16, 2013
NSA boys shut out Bishop Sullivan
The Nansemond-Suffolk Academy boys’ tennis team blanked Bishop Sullivan at home on Tuesday, winning 9-0 and extending its season record to 8-4 overall and 3-0 in conference play.
Singles results were as follows:
- Corey Cutright (NS) d. Christian Manalili (BS), 7-5, 6-2
- Tucker Firnstahl (NS) d. Han Wool Lee (BS), 6-3, 6-2
- Jackson DeMello (NS) d. Phillip Speri (BS), 6-3, 4-6, 11-9
- Preston Firnstahl (NS) d. Han Jun Kim (BS), 6-0, 6-1
- Nathan Pharr (NS) d. Alex LoPresti (BS), 6-3, 6-0
- Ryan Witherow (NS) d. Jin Hoo Kim (BS), 6-0, 6-0
Doubles results were as follows:
- Corey Cutright and Tucker Firnstahl (NS) d. Christian Manalili and Han Wool Lee (BS), 8-3
- Jackson DeMello and Preston Firnstahl (NS) d. Phillip Speri and Han Jun Kim (BS), 8-4
- Nathan Pharr and Ryan Witherow (NS) d. Alex LoPresti and Jin Hoo Kim (BS), 8-5
Broadwater falls to IWA
Isle of Wight Academy’s baseball team had a big victory over Broadwater Academy on Monday, winning 10-4.
Nine different players had runs for the Chargers, with Travis Jones contributing two.
Logan Wright had three hits, and Matthew Herrmann, Hunter Triplett and Travis Jones each had two. Reid Taylor and Rainer Marfio had one hit apiece.
The win gives IWA a record of 7-6 overall, 2-1 in conference play.
IWA beats Bishop Sullivan
Isle of Wight Academy’s boys’ soccer team beat Bishop Sullivan High School 4-2 on Monday.
Josh Weihe led all scorers with three goals. The Chargers’ Justin Cobb had one.
Corey Holleman, Justin Cobb and Ryan Brady provided one assist each for IWA, and goalie Nathan Sivertson had 21 saves.
The Chargers play Brunswick Academy tonight.
NSA golfers wrap up BSHS
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy’s golf team easily handled Bishop Sullivan High School on Tuesday, winning 161-193 in Virginia Beach.
The Saints’ Keith Cooper was the medalist, shooting a 38 on the par-36 Virginia Beach National course.