Sports briefs for May 1Published 9:34pm Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy’s boys’ tennis team extended Hampton Roads Academy’s winless season on Tuesday, beating the Navigators 6-3 on the road.
The Saints’ record improved to 10-8 overall and 4-3 in conference play with the win.
Singles results were as follows:
- Joel Nochimson (HR) d. Corey Cutright (NS), 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
- Ben Nochimson (HR) d. Tucker Firnstahl (NS), 7-5, 6-4
- Jackson DeMello (NS) d. Matthew Cockrell (HR), 6-2, 6-4
- Preston Firnstahl (NS) d. Harry Ross (HR), 6-0, 6-0
- Nathan Pharr (NS) d. Tallak Meland (HR), 6-2, 6-0
- Ryan Witherow (NS) d. Rumit Patel (HR), 6-0, 6-1
Doubles results were as follows:
- Joel Nochimson and Ben Nochinson (HR) d. Corey Cutright and Tucker Firnstahl (NS), 8-2
- Jackson DeMello and Preston Firnstahl (NS) d. Matthew Cockrell and Harry Ross (HR), 8-1
- Nathan Pharr and Ryan Witherow (NS) d. Rumit Patel and Jonathan Brownbill (HR), 8-2
NSA golf team wins at home
Nansemond Suffolk Academy’s golf team made easy work of visiting Hampton Roads Academy on Tuesday, winning the match 160-178 at the par-36 Sleepy Hole Golf Course.
The Saints’ Keith Cooper was the medalist, shooting a 36.