NSA boys’ tennis falls on Senior DayPublished 10:25pm Thursday, May 2, 2013
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy’s boys’ tennis team made its Senior Day interesting on Thursday against the visitors from Norfolk Christian High School, but lost by a slim 5-4 margin.
“All of the matches were close with a few points here and there in each match being the difference,” NSA head coach Randolph Davis wrote in an email.
Davis offered high praise of Preston Firnstahl, who he wrote “had a great day winning at the (No. 2) doubles with Jackson DeMello and then coming back from a 6-1 defeat in the first set to win his singles match at (No. 4), winning the second set 6-3 and taking the third set tiebreak at 10-2.”
The day’s closest match came via the No. 3 doubles face-off with the Saints’ Nathan Pharr and Ryan Witherow competing. Davis noted that both teams had several match points, but the Ambassadors won 9-8, with tiebreak being 9-7.
“The Saints finished a great year with a 10-9 record and going 4-4 in the (Tidewater Conference of Independent Schools),” Davis stated. “This is the (first) winning record for the boys’ tennis team since going 9-7 in 2004.”
Singles results were as follows:
- David Cockerill (NC) def. Corey Cutright (NS), 6-2, 6-4
- Frank Batten (NC) def. Tucker Firnstahl (NS), 6-2, 6-2
- Ben Stckley (NC) def. Jackson DeMello (NS), 6-3, 6-4
- Preston Firnstahl (NS) def. Taylor Hoerr (NC), 1-6, 6-3, 10-2
- Nathan Pharr (NS) def. Grayson Daffron (NC), 6-4, 6-3
- Ryan Witherow (NS) def. Daniel Rocka (NC), 6-3, 6-1
Doubles results were as follows:
- Cockerill and Batten (NC) def. Cutright and T. Firnstahl (NS), 8-2
- DeMello and P. Firnstahl (NS) def. Stickley and Daffron (NC), 8-5
- Hoerr and Rocka (NC) def. Pharr and Witherow (NS), 9-8 (9-7)