Indictments in camper casePublished 11:49pm Thursday, August 29, 2013
A grand jury has indicted two people accused of leaving children in a locked camper on charges of child abuse and neglect and child cruelty.
Laron Huston Neal, 22, and Jeronda Rena Wilson, 23, are charged with two counts each of child abuse and neglect and child cruelty. They were among 47 defendants indicted on 121 charges Wednesday.
Police said they found a 2-year-old girl and a 6-month-old boy locked in a camper in the backyard of a house in the 300 block of North Division Street on June 18. Police were at the home on a search warrant for an unrelated matter and heard crying, they said.
The children were alone with the windows closed, no running water and no air conditioning, police said. The children had soiled diapers, the bedding was covered in urine and feces, and the trailer had fleas and rotten floorboards, police said.
Wilson, the children’s mother, returned to the home while police were still there. She had gone to buy beer, police stated. Neal is Wilson’s brother-in-law and babysat the children on occasion, a city spokeswoman said at the time of the arrest.
Both have arraignment dates set for Oct. 9.
In a separate case, Lakeisha Danielle Myrick, 25, also was indicted on two counts of child abuse and neglect, one of child neglect and one of child cruelty.
Police said they received an anonymous tip that children at her home were regularly left alone. On June 23, they went to her apartment at Heritage Acres, 1015 Nansemond Parkway, and found a 3-year-old girl who answered the door. A 2-year-old girl was also there. Police said they found an unkempt apartment with bug infestation and food on the floors, a city spokeswoman said at the time.
Her arraignment date is Oct. 7.
In addition, Abdul Dshawn Dixon, 20, was indicted on one charge of threatening to bomb or burn and one charge of making a threat in writing. He was an 11th-grade student at King’s Fork High School this spring, when police said he made written threats on the school’s bathroom walls.
On his Facebook page, he called himself a member of the “Bomb Squad.”
The full list of indictments follows:
- Khalil Habit Barakat — possession of controlled substance; manufacture/etc. controlled substance
- Demetrius Bennett — forcible sodomy (2 counts); abduction
- Vanessa C. Bonner — possession of marijuana; premises deemed nuisance; conspiracy to distribute controlled substance
- Mario Tyrell Bowens — prisoner destroy fire protection system
- Eric Dontrell Branch — credit card theft (6 counts); receiving stolen property (2 counts)
- Sean Antonio Brinkley — abduction with intent to defile; forcible sodomy; object sexual penetration by force
- Levi James Brown — driving while intoxicated, third offense within five years
- Christopher Lavale Cooper Jr. — grand larceny; possession of firearm by violent felon (2 counts)
- Kenneth Doran Copeland — kidnap by force (2 counts); child abuse and neglect; assault and battery of family member
- Patrick Thomas Cotter — malicious shoot/throw in occupied building
- Tyreese Darden — credit card theft (6 counts); receiving stolen goods (2 counts)
- Rashed Leitiff David — possession of gun within 10 years
- Abdul D’Shawn Dixon — threat in writing; threat to bomb/burn
- Ashley Nicole Durand — possession of controlled substance
- Patricia B. Edwards — third offense larceny
- Zachary Karnes Franklin — grand larceny
- Teresa Baker Froemel — petit larceny
- Joshua Gavin — possession of controlled substance
- Timothy Alanzo Gray Jr. — attempted malicious wounding of police officer; assault and battery of law enforcement officer; grand larceny
- Jeremy Griffin — credit card theft (6 counts); receiving stolen goods (2 counts)
- Christopher Lamar Harris — driving while intoxicated, third offense within five years
- Joseph Edward Hobbs — unauthorized use of motor vehicle
- Devin Ramone Jarrett — obtain money by false pretenses; forgery (2 counts); uttering; forge public records
- David A. Jenkins — habitual offender, second offense
- James Brodie Jernigan — felon possess ammunition
- Tammie Renee Jones — identity theft (3 counts); computer fraud (3 counts); credit card fraud (3 counts)
- William Fuller Manning — grand larceny (2 counts); larceny with intent to sell (3 counts); obtain money by false pretenses
- Michael Edward McNeal — obtain money by false pretenses (2 counts); larceny with intent to sell; grand larceny
- Lakeisha Myrick — child abuse and neglect (2 counts); child neglect; child cruelty
- Laron Huston Neal — child abuse and neglect (2 counts); child cruelty (2 counts)
- Peter Anthony Perez II — manufacture/possess controlled substance (2 counts)
- John Mercer Pitts III — possess Schedule I or II drug (2 counts)
- Jesse Lee Ponder Jr. — petit larceny, third offense
- Diamonta Christopher Price — assault and battery of law enforcement officer
- Nicholas Robertson — possess Schedule I or II drug
- Bartholomew Sebrell — prisoner destroy fire protection system (2 counts)
- Clarence Milton Smith III — possession of burglary tools; petit larceny
- Christopher Lea Stine — grand larceny
- James Joseph Therrien Jr. — habitual offender, second offense
- Danielle Kristen Tice — grand larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- David Allen Vanderburg — third offense larceny (2 counts)
- Walter Lee Vann — leave scene of accident
- Jesus Anto Velazquez-Martinez — hit and run, failure to stop
- Michael Andre Wells — possession of firearm by violent felon
- Jeronda Rena Wilson — child abuse and neglect (2 counts); child cruelty (2 counts)
- Joseph Lavoris Wilson — abduction by force/intimidation; carjacking; malicious wounding; shoot, stab, cut or wound
- Staci Ellen Zigler — grand larceny