Cotton gin supports 4-H eventPublished 7:35pm Saturday, October 19, 2013
The Southampton County 4-H program recognized their youth and sponsors at the annual 4-H Livestock Awards Banquet on Sept. 23. This event served as a follow-up to the Franklin-Southampton County Fair, which took place in August.
Rich & Rich Bonded Auctioneers International Inc., of Jackson, N.C., recognized each 4-H member with a monetary “bonus” for their efforts. The money awarded was a portion of the proceeds from an auction held by Rich & Rich at the Suffolk Cotton Gin earlier this year. Rich & Rich employee Bryant Roberson presented the checks.
“Every year Rich & Rich partners with the Suffolk Cotton Gin to host an auction,” Roberson said. “A percentage of the proceeds go toward non-profit community organizations.”
“If it wasn’t for the Suffolk Cotton Gin letting us use their property, [these donations] would not happen,” said Richard Vaughan, owner of Rich & Rich. “It’s mighty kind of them. We are deeply indebted. They let us use this property for a community effort.”
This is the third year Rich & Rich has opted to support Southampton 4-H.
“We chose 4-H because we see the benefits. It’s all about the kids,” Roberson stated.
The community auction is always the second Thursday in March at the Suffolk Cotton Gin.
In addition to Southampton 4-H, Rich & Rich also donates to several other organizations.
Award winners were as follows:
- Grand Champion Senior Heifer Fitting and Showmanship: Philip Carr Jr., Carrsville
- Grand Champion Junior Heifer Fitting and Showmanship: Taylor Cross, Zuni
- Grand Champion Novice Heifer Fitting and Showmanship: Hannah Reedy, Drewryville
- Grand Champion Heifer: Taylor Cross, Zuni
- Reserve Champion Heifer: Philip Carr Jr., Carrsville
- Heifer Sweepstakes: Taylor Cross, Zuni
- Grand Champion Senior Goat Fitting and Showmanship: Philip Carr Jr., Carrsville
- Grand Champion Junior Goat Fitting and Showmanship: Lee Johnson, Drewryville
- Grand Champion Novice Goat Fitting and Showmanship: Luke Giles, Courtland
- Grand Champion Market Goat: Lane Cross, Zuni
- Reserve Champion Market Goat: Philip Carr Jr., Carrsville
- Market Goat Sweepstakes: Lane Cross, Zuni
- Grand Champion Breeding Goat: Lee Johnson, Drewryville
- Reserve Champion Breeding Goat: Maryann Johnson, Drewryville
- Breeding Goat Sweepstakes: Lee Johnson, Drewryville
- Best Senior Buck (Rabbit): Savannah Britt, Courtland
- Best Junior Buck (Rabbit): Victoria Ross, Ivor
- Best Junior Doe (Rabbit): Nicole Copeland, Franklin
- Best Senior Doe (Rabbit): Caleigh Gray, Capron
- Best in Show Doe and Litter (Rabbit): Kendra Farmer, Windsor
- Grand Champion Overall Rabbit: Victoria Ross, Ivor
- Reserve Champion Overall Rabbit: Nicole Copeland, Franklin
- Friend of 4-H Award: Jennifer Johnson, Neil Clark
- Robbie Pulley Memorial Sportsmanship Award: Edythe Carr, Carrsville
- Long-time 4-H Volunteer Award: Walter Young Jr.
All 4-H participants received a premium check. The funds for the trophies and premium checks were donated by community sponsors.
Primary sponsors include Murphy-Brown LLC; Farm Bureau of Southampton; Colonial Farm Credit; and Southampton FFA. Other sponsoring businesses and individuals were Rose Valley Farms; Lee White Trucking; Parker Battery; Dixie Plant Farms; Southern States — Dean Moore; Larry and Bernadette Whitley; Carolina Eastern Boone; Coastal AgroBusiness; Bayer CropScience; Beamon and Johnson Automotive; Tractor Supply Company; Dail’s Home Center; Luck Stone; Colony Tire of Emporia; Commonwealth Gin; B&S Enterprises; Rich and Rich Bonded Auctioneers International; Helena Chemical — Larry Fowler; Old McDonald’s Rabbit Ranch LLC; Jernigan Oil Company Duck Thru; R.M. Felts Packing; Parker Oil; and Precision Exteriors, LLC.
Sponsors of the 4-H Goat Show were J.T. Barham & Co. and Meherrin Agricultural and Chemical Company. Holland Farm sponsored the obstacle course portion of the 4-H Goat Show.