City gives Halloween safety tipsPublished 9:54pm Wednesday, October 30, 2013
The city of Suffolk is reminding parents about safety tips for trick-or-treating tonight.
Trick-or-treating ends at 8 p.m., and it is against the law for anyone over the age of 12 to trick-or-treat.
Tips to stay safe include:
- A responsible adult carrying a flashlight should escort children.
- Costumes should be made of light-colored, fireproof material.
- Children should wear proper fitting, comfortable costumes and shoes.
- Masks should not be worn if they block vision.
- Remind children to trick-or-treat only at homes with porch lights on and never to go inside a home.
- Children should not eat treats until they get home and the treats are inspected.
- Only allow children to eat unopened candy and treats in original wrappers.
- Motorists, be patient and slow down. Remember that children will be excited and may forget to stop, look and listen before they cross the street.