Kids’ Christmas gifts lost in firePublished 9:55pm Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Timmy Williams and his family lost just about everything in Wednesday morning’s fire at the family’s home.
Williams, who was out of town when the fire started, still has the suitcase full of clothes he took with him. But mementos of his late wife and mother, clothes for two of his grandchildren who were staying there, Christmas gifts for all six of his grandchildren and more are gone.
“I lost everything,” he said. “I was saving pictures of my wife, things she had written. But I’m not really concerned about myself. My concern is my grandkids. The things that we had for them for Christmas, we lost. The grandkids that were there, they lost a lot of clothes and things, too.”
The blaze at the home in the 400 block of Elizabeth Street was reported at 9:33 a.m., according to city spokeswoman Diana Klink. No injuries were reported. Williams said he was told it appears to have been an electrical fire.
Williams has lived there for about three years, since he and his wife moved in to help his mother after she suffered an injury. His wife died about 16 months ago, and his mother died nine months later.
“I’ve just been living here since then,” Williams said.
Williams said friends are planning a benefit on the family’s behalf. He said anyone who is able to help with replacing the Christmas gifts can call him at 725-9346.
“The clothes and things like that, they’re replaceable,” he said. “I don’t have money right now to replace them, so that’s the only bad thing.”