Suffolk shines at invitationalPublished 9:43pm Friday, January 17, 2014
Nansemond River High School juniors Zakiya Rashid and Kara Lyles headlined the local highlights recently at the Suffolk Stars Invitational track and field meet, put on by Lakeland High School at the Boo Williams Sportsplex.
Many personal records (PR) were set during the two-day event, and Rashid and Lyles took first in the shot put and 500-meter dash, respectively.
“I PR’d in the 55 dash with a (7.74-second time) and in the shot put for indoor season with a 40-foot-10-inch throw,” Rashid said.
Lyles ran the 500 in 1:18.20, beating her indoor personal record by about three seconds. She also set a new PR in the 55-meter dash with a time of 7.26 seconds.
Other Warriors earning new personal bests were junior Kadeem Middleton in the 500 (1:07.04), good for second, and senior Mia McClain in the 300-meter dash (41.46 seconds), also good for second.
“To run PRs at this point in our training is amazing,” Nansemond River coach Justin Byron said. “The kids are just working hard.”
Senior Gabrielle Snipes was the highest finisher for King’s Fork High School and the highest Suffolk finisher in the 55-meter dash, placing third in 7.21 seconds. Junior Hannah Hinson threw 33-feet-10-inches in the shot put to take seventh.
Lakeland’s top finisher was senior Khadijah Clouden, who covered 35-feet-8-inches in the triple jump, her new personal best and good for sixth place. Sophomore Ja’Len Baker took ninth in the 300-meter dash with a time of 36.88 seconds.
Lakeland activities director Gregory Rountree was pleased with the 10th year of the invitational.
“I think the meet was successful,” he said.
He noted it ran long because so many people are now involved, including almost 100 youths in each event. Lakeland welcomed 1,600 athletes this year from 59 teams.
Following are the individual results and top Suffolk finishers from the Suffolk Stars Invitational in Hampton:
- Boys’ 1000-meter run: 1st-Stanley Davis, (Glen Allen) 2:32.11; 13th-Sydney Johnson, (NR) 2:45.41
- Boys’ 1600-meter run: 1st-John Stoney, (Oakton) 4:25.08; 14th-Kevin Tohak, (NR) 4:46.70
- Boys’ 300-meter dash: 1st-Marcus Taylor, (Highland Springs) 35.27; 9th-Ja’Len Baker, (LHS) 36.88
- Boys’ 3200-meter run: 1st-Micah Ellington, (Hickory) 9:42.45; 29th-Nicholas Gill, (NR) 10:57.52
- Boys’ 4×200-meter relay: 1st-Highland Springs ‘A’ 1:32.09; 11th-Lakeland ‘A’ 1:36.54
- Boys’ 4×400-meter relay: 1st-I.C. Norcom ‘A’ 3:26.62; 5th-Nansemond River ‘A’ 3:32.74
- Boys’ 4×800-meter relay: 1st-Western Branch ‘A’ 8:08.22; 12th-Nansemond River ‘A’ 8:39.13
- Boys’ 500-meter dash: 1st-Chase Heiner, (Centreville) 1:06.26; 2nd-Kadeem Middleton, (NR) 1:07.04
- Boys’ 55-meter dash: 1st-Marcus Taylor, (Highland Springs) 6.41
- Boys’ 55-meter hurdles: 1st-Grant Holloway, (Grassfield) 7.28
- Boys’ high jump: 1st-John Seals, (West Springfield) 6-10.00; t-17th-DeVante Brown, (LHS) and Keion Roberts, (NR) 5-08.00
- Boys’ long jump: 1st-Thomas Chandler, (Currituck County) 22-03.50; 74th-Antonio Boone, (LHS) 17-00.25
- Boys’ pole vault: 1st-Jaelyn Demory, (Woodbridge) 12-00.00; 14th-Robert Kelly, (KF) 8-00.00
- Boys’ shot put: 1st-Preston Richardson, (Broadwater Academy) 52-09.50; 32nd-Kenneth Smiley, (NR) 39-11.00
- Boys’ triple jump: 1st-John Warren, (Prince George) 50-09.25; 16th-Antonio Boone, (LHS) 40-02.00
- Girls’ 1000-meter run: 1st-Hailey Dougherty, (Oakton) 3:06.88; 21st-Kara Dixon, (NR) 3:22.90
- Girls’ 1600-meter run: 1st-Caroline Alcorta, (West Springfield) 4:57.61; 50th-Casey Williams, (NR) 6:22.51
- Girls’ 300-meter dash: 1st-Tiffany Harris, (Patrick Henry, Ashland) 41.34; 2nd-Mia McClain, (NR) 41.46
- Girls’ 3200-meter run: 1st-Casey Kendall, (Oakton) 11:11.20; 28th-Kara Dixon, (NR) 13:54.57
- Girls’ 4×200-meter relay: 1st-Western Branch ‘A’ 1:42.44; 9th-King’s Fork ‘A’ 1:48.20
- Girls’ 4×400-meter relay: 1st-Wakefield ‘A’ 4:01.95; 10th-Lakeland ‘A’ 4:27.36
- Girls’ 4×800-meter relay: 1st-West Springfield ‘A’ 9:31.25; 16th-Lakeland ‘A’ 10:35.28
- Girls’ 500-meter dash: 1st-Kara Lyles, (NR) 1:18.20; 20th-Danielle Hill, (KF) 1:24.60
- Girls’ 55-meter dash: 1st-Carolyn Brown, (Phoebus) 7.04; 3rd-Gabrielle Snipes, (KF) 7.21
- Girls’ 55-meter hurdles: 1st-Jasmine Moore, (Wakefield) 8.37; 6th-Mia McClain, (NR) 9.03
- Girls’ high jump: 1st-Carolyn Brown, (Phoebus) 5-04.00
- Girls’ long jump: 1st-Bria Anderson, (Mills Godwin) 17-05.25; 19th-Karah Foster, (NR) 15-11.25
- Girls’ pole vault: 1st-Jaqueline Meeks, (First Colonial) 11-00.00
- Girls’ shot put: 1st-Zakiya Rashid, (NR) 40-10.00; 7th-Hannah Hinson, (KF) 33-10.00
- Girls’ triple jump: 1st-Skyla Davidson, (Lake Braddock) 37-07.25; 6th-Khadijah Clouden, (LHS) 35-08.00