Warriors’ streak over

Published 12:00 am Saturday, October 26, 2002

Before the Nansemond River-Western Branch game on Friday evening, a song played over the loudspeakers at the Western Branch stadium.

&uot;Nobody, and I mean nobody,&uot; the song blared, &uot;comes into our house and pushes us around.&uot; Over the next four quarters, the Bruins brought the words to fruition, dominating the Warriors 35-7. Ryan Pond threw for 143 yards and two touchdowns and the Bruin defense held the Warriors to 67 rushing yards. The loss, the Warriors’ first in the Southeastern district, ended their five-game winning streak, and dropped them to 5-3, 4-1. .

The Warriors got their only first down of the first half on the first play of the game, when a face mask penalty against Western Branch netted Nansemond River a first down on their own 48. But the Bruins knocked them back three yards over the next three plays, and Travis Hoegh punted to the Western Branch 25.

Email newsletter signup

Reggie Holland chewed up 28 yards on the next three plays, and an 11-yard strike from Pond to Daniel Tanner got the Bruins to the Warrior 29 in only 1:19. Marcus Norfleet then charged to the 13, and Holland to the seven, where Roy Norfleet scored the Bruins’ first touchdown.

After the Warriors could only manage two yards on their next drive, Hoegh fumbled the hike on fourth down, and Anthony Brown scooped it up at the Warrior 17. Two plays later, Pond hit Vince Hall from 14 yards away, moving the lead to 14-0.

Trayce McPherson broke around the left side for a 35-yard gain, but it was wiped out by a holding penalty, and the Bruins blocked Hoegh’s punt at the one. Eric Berry snatched the ball from Roy Norfleet on the next play, but McPherson fumbled in the end zone on third down, and Jake Fuller fell on the ball for the Bruins’ third score.

Dominic Strand completed his first two passes on the next drive, as the Warriors moved to midfield. But McPherson fumbled on the next play, and Alex King grabbed it and raced 45 yards to the end zone.

Fortunately, the Bruins were called for holding, knocking the ball back to the Warrior 43. For the first time, the Nansemond River defense held, getting the ball back at their own 20 with 6:38 left in the first half.

The penalty bug struck King and the Bruins again, as a 44-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown was called back after a holding penalty. The Warriors held again, but were unable to move the ball, and Peter Conroy returned Hoegh’s second punt 16 yards to the Warrior 34.

After another holding penalty knocked the Bruins back to the 45, Quentin Forbes bolted 34 yards to the Warrior nine. Holland was thrown for a three-yard loss on the next play, but Pond hit Tanner in the corner of the end zone with 13 seconds left, ending the halftime up 28-0.

On their second drive of the third quarter, Nansemond River made its first offensive move. In three plays, McPherson scurried 55 yards to the Bruin 26, and Strand knocked off another 20 for a first-and-goal at the six. He got another one on first down, but McPherson was tackled for a five-yard loss, and Strand’s pass fell incomplete on third down.

The Bruins were called for pass interference on the next play, and the Warriors had a first-and-goal at the five. But McPherson was held to minus-one yard on the next two plays, and Strand misfired on third and fourth down, keeping the Warriors scoreless.

With 5:35 to play, Pond tossed a 24-yard pass to Forbes at the Warrior nine, and Roy Norfleet and Holland took care of the rest, as Norfleet scored on a two-yard dive three plays later.

But Nansemond River refused to go home empty-handed, and Strand fired a pass to Dontra Artis on the sidelines at midfield, and Artis rumbled the rest of the way for the Warriors’ only touchdown.

Nansemond River will visit Hickory next Friday.

Lakeland 27,

Indian River 19

Lakeland got its first winning streak started on Friday, defeating host Indian River 27-19. The Cavaliers (3-5, 2-3) will host Deep Creek next Friday.

Nansemond-Suffolk Academy 38, Hampton Roads Academy 0

Nansemond-Suffolk Academy recorded its third consecutive shutout, defeating host Hampton Roads Academy 38-0. The Saints (7-1) will host Atlantic Shores next Friday.