Smoke detectors saved lives

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 17, 2002

A Suffolk family escaped a fire in their home when the smoke detector alerted them to the danger.

Suffolk firefighters were called to a home in the 500 block of Murphy’s Mill Road at 8:25 a.m. Monday. The home is owned and occupied by Jan Annas, and it sustained approximately $10,000 in damages to the structure and $5,000 in damages to the contents.

The homeowner is insured.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

According to Suffolk’s Emergency Management Coordinator Jim Judkins, a captain at the fire department, a short in the dishwasher caused this fire.

There were no injuries.