Glitches are inevitable, Jan. 16, 2005

Published 12:00 am Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Main Street Jazz Restaurant finally opened last week. I had heard several people talking about all the delays with the opening. It would be announced and then cancelled.

Working on the redesign of the News-Herald over the past several months, I withheld judgment on the jazz club situation. I knew all the troubles and issues we were running into just dealing with things like fonts, headlines, photos, etc. I couldn’t imagine what might pop up with bricks and mortar and people issues with which they had to contend.

Kenneth Boone, the consultant who’s been working on this with us for several months, was in town from mid-week through Saturday helping put the finishing touches on it and we spent some long evenings.


Email newsletter signup

Nonetheless, when we got him on the plane Saturday afternoon, we felt pretty good about where we stood.

I intended to come in Sunday to get a head start on some Tuesday pages. However, my wife took ill with tonsillitis and four hours on IVs in the ER later, I managed to make it in late in the evening and get about quarter of the work done I was hoping to.

While waiting around the hospital, I uncovered the 2nd glitch. I had recorded a message on our Sound Off line – 934-9616 – and we launched it in Sunday’s paper.

I called the line from the hospital to see if we had gotten any messages and for some reason the message did not take. It still had a former employee’s voice mail on it. Thankfully, however, a caller ignored the errant message and left us our first Sound Off. Watch for it tomorrow. We’re going with it whether we’re ready or not.

Anyway, we will be running around like chickens with our heads cut off over the next couple weeks trying to get things right, and I’m sure we’ll be making many mistakes along the way. Please bear with us and let us know what you think.

Incidentally, I’d like to wish my wife, Cathy, a quick recovery and a happy anniversary (19th) today.