• 59°

Home damaged by fire

Damage is estimated at $70,000 to a home and its contents following an early-morning fire Saturday.

The blaze, according to the Suffolk Fire Department, began in the home at 2417 Randolph St., around 8:45 a.m.

A report issued Saturday afternoon indicated a defective fireplace was the most likely culprit.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find smoke and flames in the upstairs of the split-level ranch structure.

Upon entering the house, firefighters report encountering thick smoke and fire in the wall around the fireplace. Those flames had moved up into the second floor and eventually the attic.

There was fire damage upstairs and around the fireplace and smoke damage to the remainder of the building and its contents.

In talking to the homeowner, firefighters ascertained that he had attempted to start a fire in the fireplace about 30 minutes before the blaze began. He told them, according to the report, that little smoke was going up the chimney and the house was quickly filling with smoke.

He instructed his daughter and granddaughter to leave and call 911.

All three occupants escaped unharmed.

Smoke covered a large area of the neighborhood around the fire scene.

The fire was reported under control at 9:20 a.m. and the last unit left the scene at 11:34 a.m.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

The home and it’s contents were insured.

The building sustained an estimated $60,000 in damage and the contents $10,000, according to the fire report.

doug.grant@suffolknewsherald.com