Bruins wake late, but storm past NR

Published 1:29 pm Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Nansemond River’s Jarrod Watson scored 19 seconds into the Warriors’ soccer match at Western Branch on Monday evening.

After that, it was all Bruins as Western Branch ended Nansemond River’s hopes of making the Southeastern District Tournament with a 6-1 victory.

The two teams played a half of soccer last Thursday night before thunderstorms forced the game to be halted at halftime. In the first attempt, Western Branch (8-4-2, 6-1-1) held a 1-0 lead at halftime as the Warrior defense, usually with nine or 10 players working hard to keep the Bruin attack clogged up, had kept the match close.


Email newsletter signup

On Monday, the Warriors (5-8-0, 3-5-0) started out in stunning fashion in their effort to get a needed win over second-place Western Branch.

From near the midfield stripe, Matt Schutz booted a long pass toward the Bruin penalty box. Watson sprinted to get to the ball a stride before WB’s keeper got to it, but still had enough control to chip the ball into the wide-open net.

Watson’s goal was an alarm clock for the Bruins, but it also fired up the Warriors and the next 15 minutes were evenly-split as far as attacking play.

After the initial energy wore off for NR though, the Bruins’ talent and passing ability took over more and more of the game. After the shots were even through most of the first half, the Bruins finished the night with a 26-13 shot margin and a 15-6 advantage in shots on goal.

A series of four Bruin corner kicks in quick succession paid off in the 18th minute. Donald Chattin’s sharply-hit header finished the corner swung in from the right sideline by David Noel to tie the match.

The Bruins’ Brett Woodward, in the 32nd minute, and Ricardo Brown, in the 40th minute, proceeded to give Western Branch a 3-1 lead at halftime. The Bruins scored three more goals in the first 16 minutes of the second half.

Nansemond River’s season finale is set for Tuesday evening at Great Bridge.