Trinity Episcopal drops Lady Saints

Published 10:09 pm Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nansemond-Suffolk allowed a run of five straight goals by Trinity Episcopal in the first half of Tuesday afternoon’s girls lacrosse match and the visitors from Richmond went on to a 17-6 victory.

Last Thursday, in a 12-10 loss to Cape Henry, Nansemond-Suffolk’s head coach, Susan Quier was pleased as, despite the narrow setback, her squad was improving in all aspects of the game.

The action and scoring was fast and furious to open the match. Trinity Episcopal had a 2-0 lead less than two minutes into the match. In the third minute, the Lady Saints answered when Alyssa Grigg raced from behind the goal, around the cage and scored with a wrap-around style shot.


Email newsletter signup

As the match moved along though, NSA’s only plan of attack offensively was Grigg being able to keep possession, but not find any open teammates as Trinity Episcopal did an organized job of marking the Lady Saints tightly.

One of the only times NSA’s passing looked similar to how it did in its previous match came about 10 minutes later.

After a patient possession around Trinity’s goal, the play was capped with Alexis Clary passing from the right wing into the slot and a cutting Julia Rapoport. Rapoport caught the pass in stride, then went low, with her stick and her shot, to score.

Rapoport’s tally made it 5-2 Trinity Episcopal. Instead of sparking the Lady Saints, the goal just briefly interrupted the visitors as they kept going on to a big lead.

By the time Grigg scored with 0:40 left in the first half, the visitors still led 10-3 and that was the score at halftime. Trinity Episcopal scored twice in the first seven minutes of the second half.

Grigg scored her third goal of the day, with another one-on-one drive from behind the goal into the slot, making it 12-4 Trinity in the 34th minute.

Grigg made it four goals seven minutes later, this time driving in between a couple Trinity defenders from the wing to in front of the cage to get her shot off.

NSA got the final tally of the match with under a minute to go when Kayla Sclater fired a shot into the top part of the net on a free restart.

NSA’s three goals in the second half came on its only three shots of the half. Trinity Episcopal outshot NSA 15-3 in the half and 32-13 overall.

NSA (0-4) travels to face Norfolk Academy in a non-Tidewater Conference match Tuesday afternoon.