Absentee voting deadline approaches
Published 10:45 pm Tuesday, October 26, 2010
If you have not already applied to vote by absentee ballot, you have until Saturday to turn in your application and vote in person.
The deadline to apply to vote absentee by mail was Tuesday.
“That process is open to people that need to vote by absentee ballot in person through Saturday,” said Susan Saunders, voter registrar. “We receive (absentee ballots by mail) through Election Day.”
Email newsletter signup
The voter registrar’s office is open during normal business hours on weekdays for absentee voting. Hours on Saturday for absentee voting will be 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Mailed absentee ballots must be received by the time the polls close at 7 p.m. on Election Day, Nov. 2.
To qualify to vote absentee in Virginia, you must meet one of 11 qualifications.
Voters who qualify to cast an absentee ballot are those who:
- Are a full-time college student or spouse of student;
- Out of town on work, personal business or vacation;
- Will be working and commuting for 11 or more hours while the polls are open;
- Are a first responder (law enforcement, firefighter, emergency technician or search and rescue);
- Disabled or ill;
- Primarily responsible for the care of a disabled/ill family member confined at home;
- Confined awaiting trial or having been convicted of a misdemeanor;
- Are an electoral board member, registrar, officer of election or custodian of voting equipment;
- Have a religious obligation;
- Are active-duty Merchant Marine or Armed Forces, or spouse or dependent living with them;
- Are temporarily residing outside the United States;
- Are a designated representative of a candidate or party inside polls.
New registrants who submitted their voter registration applications by mail may not vote by mail unless they meet very specific criteria.
The voter registrar’s office and central absentee precinct recently relocated to the first floor of the new Human Resources building, 440 Market St., directly across from City Hall. The Social Services Department was previously located in this building.
To reach the voter registrar, call 514-7753.