Grand jury indicts 51
Published 10:46 pm Thursday, February 23, 2012
A grand jury has indicted a Suffolk man known for charity work who had his business’s conditional use permit stripped by City Council in December following the assault police say he was involved in.
He was among 51 defendants indicted on 118 charges Wednesday.
Marcus Theodus “Boogie” Williams was indicted for malicious wounding by the grand jury on Wednesday. He owns Boogie’s Family and Friends Outreach Organization and Lodge.
Email newsletter signup
The alleged incident occurred there early on the morning of Nov. 25, Thanksgiving night, according to a presentation made by Police Chief Thomas Bennett during the December City Council meeting.
According to police investigation, the assault occurred about 12:15 a.m. at Boogie’s, Bennett said. But the conditional use permit allowed the lodge to be open only until 11 p.m. on Thursday nights.
Bennett also said investigation revealed that alcohol was served without licensed security guards present and that Williams had failed to be accountable for the facility and ensure it complied with all laws.
Further, Bennett alleged, Williams was involved in the assault. He was arrested on Nov. 28.
Bennett said the victim suffered injuries so severe he had to be transported to Norfolk for treatment. He had been punched, kicked and stomped about his head, neck, eyes and abdomen multiple times, Bennett said.
Williams has said that the event occurred much earlier in the night and that he was not involved.
Williams is known for supporting and orchestrating multiple charitable events in the city, including a ham and toy giveaway every Christmas.
His first court date is March 8.
The full list of indictments is below.
- Charles William Askew — third offense larceny
- Robert Michael Bailey — attempted aggravated malicious wounding; use of a firearm in commission of a felony
- Clyde McCoy Boone — possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- Donna Jean Bradshaw — child abuse with disregard for life
- Kevin Burrell — grand larceny
- Devin Deshawn Bush — statutory burglary
- Empress Nakiba Clark — unauthorized use of vehicle; grand larceny
- Jay Antoine Cooper — forgery; uttering; forge/utter counterfeit bills; attempted obtain money by false pretenses; identity theft
- Benjamin Alexander Copeland — malicious wounding; shoot/stab in commission of a felony
- Jashaun Lynard Crocker — robbery (3 counts); use of a firearm in commission of robbery (3 counts); abduction with intent to obtain pecuniary benefit
- Rollie James Gatling — possession of cocaine
- Tisha Whitehurst Gatling — credit card fraud (2 counts); credit card theft; credit card forgery
- Aaron Vann Grace — larceny by worthless check
- Marcus Theodus Green — malicious wounding
- Jack Siler Grimes III — grand larceny (3 counts); possession of burglary tools (5 counts); conspiracy to commit larceny; statutory burglary; larceny with intent to sell (2 counts); destruction of property with intent (4 counts); enter property to damage (4 counts); break and enter railroad car or storage vehicle
- Kelton Henry Hardeman — third offense larceny
- Ryan O’Berry Hart — obtain DMV documents unlawfully; alter/forge certificate of title or registration
- Michael Irving Harvey — grand larceny
- Keith Raynard Holland — leaving scene of accident; habitual offender; fourth or subsequent DWI within 10 years
- Trenton Lavelle Holliman — possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- Molly Sonon Hughes — grand larceny
- Kelly Ann Irwin — false statement to DMV (3 counts); obtain documents not entitled (3 counts); forge public records (2 counts); utter forged public records (2 counts)
- Terrisha Kendra Jennings — unlawful discharge of a firearm in an occupied dwelling; statutory burglary
- Wilbert Lee Johnson — possession of ammunition by a felon; possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- Christina Renee Jones — cruelty to animals (2 counts)
- Karon Larvell Jones — failure to appear on felony charge
- Frankie D. Lewis — malicious wounding
- Erin Mack — failure to appear on felony charge
- Shondarra Mercedes McClenny — credit card theft; credit card fraud
- Thomas McClenny III — possession of firearm felon within 10 years
- Maggie Mae McKean — forgery; attempt to obtain money by false pretenses; uttering
- Kevin Lakeith Miller — robbery; use of a firearm; abduction; unlawful wearing a mask in public; conspiracy to commit robbery; abduction to extort money; use of a firearm in commission of a felony
- Keontee Latrece Mosley — statutory burglary
- Rose Lorene Newsome — possession of cocaine
- Daryl Outlaw Jr. — possession of marijuana with intent to distribute ½ ounce to 5 pounds
- Nicky Marie Reid — unauthorized use of auto
- Trevor Sam Reynolds — statutory burglary
- John Louis Rice — possession of cocaine
- Joel Wesley Ricks — statutory burglary (3 counts); possession of burglary tools
- Deandre Markee Sawyer — grand larceny
- Aaron Curtis Spence — third offense larceny
- Lorenza Tann — reckless driving
- Larry Velmar — leave scene of accident
- Anthony Earl White — possession of cocaine with intent to distribute
- Shelton White — possession of cocaine
- Marcus Theodus Williams — malicious wounding
- Milton Valentino Williams — malicious wounding; malicious wounding by mob
- Clarence Edward Wilson III — robbery; use of firearm in commission of a felony; possession of a firearm by a felon within 10 years
- Tyrone Wood — possession of heroin
- Richard H. Worrell IV — grand larceny; larceny with intent to sell
- Sarah Elizabeth Yauger — cruelty to animals