Dual enrollment offers a unique opportunity

Published 10:09 pm Wednesday, October 10, 2012

By Dr. Maxine Singleton

Paul D. Camp Community College is pleased to offer a program that allows eligible high school students to earn college credits. This program is referred to as Dual Enrollment. It’s a way to save money now, while your child is still in high school.

Dual Enrollment is a program that allows eligible high school students currently attending any public or private high school, or home school to simultaneously enroll in a college course. The credits students earn are acceptable toward a college associate or baccalaureate degree, or even technical certificate.

Email newsletter signup

The benefits of dual enrollment are extensive. Beyond enriching the course opportunities for outstanding high school students, this program also shortens the time to attain a college degree.

Also, grades earned through dual enrollment will become part of the students’ permanent high school and college transcripts.

Finally, it provides students with college credit that may be transferable to a college or university.

Students in the 10th, 11th or 12th grades, who are enrolled in any public, private or home school are eligible to participate in the dual enrollment program.

Students participating in dual enrollment must earn a grade of “C” or higher in their college-level courses to continue participation.

Additionally, students must have:

  • A minimum 3.0 high school grade point average
  • Passed the appropriate sections of the college’s Basic Skills Assessment Test
  • The permission of a parent/guardian, high school principal and counselor
  • An understanding that the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses will be greater than in high school courses

Courses may be taken before school, after school, and during the summer. Courses may be offered at the high school, on the college campus, or other approved locations, or online. Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to the college campus.

There’s a lot more to the dual enrollment program. To speak with an admissions counselor or for more information, contact Paul D. Camp Community College at 569-6700 or visit www.pdc.edu.

 Dr. Maxine Singleton is vice president of instruction and student development at Paul D. Camp Community College. Email her at msingleton@pdc.edu.