Lake Prince Woods evacuated

Published 5:00 pm Saturday, January 10, 2015

About 76 residents were evacuated from Lake Prince Woods Saturday afternoon due to a malfunctioning heating unit.

Crews arriving after a fire alarm was activated at 2:20 p.m. found smoke on the second floor of the independent living center, but there was no active fire, according to a city press release.

The residents were evacuated from the second floor and sheltered in the facility’s lobby area. The fire department’s Rehab Bus was on scene if needed due to cold temperatures.


Email newsletter signup

After firefighters inspect the entire facility, they found the cause of the smoke coming from the heating unit. The facility’s maintenance staff will be handling repairs, according to the release.

The second floor was reopened to residents about 4:30 p.m. There were no injuries in the incident.

The Chuckatuck Volunteer Fire Department backfilled affected fire stations. The Suffolk Police Department also responded to handle traffic control.