Fire damages Elephant’s Fork mobile classroom

Published 8:18 pm Saturday, December 5, 2015

A fire in a mobile classroom unit behind Elephant’s Fork Elementary School will result in a class being relocated inside the building on Monday, but no other changes to the school’s normal routine, officials said Saturday.

Firefighters were called to the school just before 5 p.m. Saturday on a report of smoke coming from one of the mobile units. When they arrived, they found the classroom of fifth-grade teacher Maurice Huff involved on fire, according to Suffolk Public Schools spokeswoman Bethanne Bradshaw.

The blaze, Bradshaw stated in a press release, was likely caused by the heating and air conditioning unit.

Newsletter

Email newsletter signup

Bradshaw said parents of all students received a recorded phone message about the fire from Principal Jessica Avery Saturday evening.