One injured in fire

Published 8:03 pm Saturday, September 24, 2016

One adult was injured when a family of five reportedly jumped from a second-floor window to escape the fire in their apartment on Saturday morning.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews responded to the fire at Cypress Manor Apartments. It was reported at 2:40 a.m.

The fire was contained to the stove area of one unit and was marked under control within 10 minutes of arrival by fire crews, according to a city press release. Firefighters found smoke showing from the two-story apartment complex.


Email newsletter signup

Suffolk Fire and Rescue personnel assessed the residents, three adults and two children, on scene. One adult was transported to Sentara Obici Hospital with minor injuries suffered from jumping from the window after the smoke detector alerted them of the fire.

The family was displaced as a result of the smoke damage suffered by the home. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the family, according to the press release.

The cause of the fire is considered to be unattended cooking.