Two families displaced after fire
Published 12:52 am Saturday, February 18, 2017
An apartment fire in North Suffolk displaced two families on Friday evening.
The fire happened in the 3900 block of Breezeport Way in a second-story apartment at the Harbour Breeze Apartments. It was reported at 7:28 p.m., and the first units arrived at 7:34 p.m., according to a city press release. The residents had evacuated prior to the arrival of firefighters.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Capt. Leon Ratliff said crews found heavy smoke showing from the side of the apartment building when they arrived. The fire was contained to the kitchen area and was called under control at 8:14 p.m. The downstairs apartment suffered smoke and water damage.
Email newsletter signup
There were no injuries. Two adults and two children that resided in the upstairs apartment were displaced and are being assisted by the American Red Cross. Three adults and two children in the downstairs apartment were displaced but did not require assistance.
The cause of the fire was determined to be unattended cooking, according to the release.
Chuckatuck Volunteer Fire Department responded along with Suffolk Fire and Rescue crews.