East Suffolk alumni give scholarships
The East Suffolk High School Alumni Association awarded $6,000 in scholarships to four recent graduates from three Suffolk public schools and one private school. The scholarships are funded by alumni, supporters and friends of East Suffolk Alumni, and the Joyce A. Artis Memorial Scholarships are funded through donations from the estate and supporters of the late Joyce A. Artis, who was a 1966 graduate of John F. Kennedy High School.
The following three students received the ESHSAA scholarships in the amount of $1,000 each:
- Drew Langston Phillips, a 2017 graduate from King’s Fork High School, received a scholarship to attend Spelman College. Her field of study is social justice and law, and she is the daughter of Robin Langston.
- D’Avion Ajanae Godwin, a 2017 graduate of Lakeland High School, receive a scholarship to attend Clark Atlantic University. Her field of study is physician assistant, and she is the daughter of Avis Mendez.
- Keshawn Eric Skinner, a 2017 graduate of Lakeland High School, receive a scholarship to attend North Carolina A&T University. His field of study is architectural engineering, and he is the son of Steve and Marie Skinner.
The following two students received $1,500 from the Joyce A. Artis Memorial Scholarship Fund:
- Stacey Michelle Sharpe, a 2017 graduate of Nansemond River High School, received a scholarship to attend Virginia Commonwealth University. Her field of study is instrumental music education, and she is the daughter of Eric and Gloria Sharpe.
- Luis Eduardo Zambrana Jr., a 2017 graduate of Hampton Christian University, received a scholarship to attend Norfolk State University. His field of study is theater performance, and he is the son of Luis and Britta Charlene Zambrana Sr.
Each of the five scholarship recipients demonstrated exceptional performance throughout his or her high school career and was judged in five categories: academic achievement, original essay, community service, extracurricular activities and financial need.
The 2017-2018 scholarship applications will be available in the schools’ guidance offices and the East Suffolk Recreation Center in February 2018.