City closures announced
In observance of Thanksgiving, Suffolk city offices will close at noon Wednesday and remain closed Thursday and Friday. Normal operations will resume at 8:30 a.m. Monday.
The following city departments, services and facilities will observe the following schedule:
- Trash and recycling scheduled for pickup on Thursday will be collected on Friday. Trash scheduled for pickup on Friday will be collected on Saturday. Suffolk Public Works Department reminds you that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. Businesses located in the Downtown Business Overlay District will have their collection day run on the regular schedule on Friday. For more information on refuse collection, call Public Works at 514-7630.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority Transfer Station and Regional Landfill in Suffolk will be closed Thursday and will be open from 8 a.m. to noon on Friday and Saturday.
- Suffolk Transit will not be in operation on Thursday. Suffolk Transit will run as scheduled on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Suffolk Parks & Recreation Joint Use Recreation Centers — King’s Fork, Creekside, Northern Shores, Oakland, Booker T. Washington and Mack Benn Jr. — will close at 6 p.m. Wednesday and will remain closed Thursday and Friday. The East Suffolk Recreation Center and the Whaleyville Community Center will close at noon on Wednesday and will remain closed Thursday and Friday. The East Suffolk Recreation Center and the Whaleyville Community Center will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. The Suffolk Parks & Recreation Administration Office will close at noon Wednesday and will reopen on Monday.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open during the holiday. However, no park attendant will be on duty Thursday or Friday.
- All Suffolk City Libraries — Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk and Chuckatuck — close at noon on Wednesday and will reopen at their regular operating hours on Monday.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will close at noon Wednesday and will remain closed Thursday through Monday. The Suffolk Art Gallery will reopen on Tuesday.
- The Suffolk Tourism Visitor Center and Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be closed Thursday and Friday.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport Terminal will be closed on Thursday. The terminal will remain open but will be unmanned on Friday. The airfield with remain open with self-service fuel available. The on-site restaurant will be open for regular business hours.