Church to celebrate anniversary
Mt. Sinai Baptist Church has been providing worship and God’s word for 150 years, and the church has been celebrating the anniversary all year.
The church began in 1868 after the Rev. Israel Cross conducted a revival that converted 39 people in an old log building. That log building was the spot of the original Mt. Sinai, and as the congregation grew, the logs were soon replaced with a frame building.
The church building continued to expand with its congregation, and the frame building stood there until a new, brick building was erected in 1921.
Cross served as Mt. Sinai’s pastor until his passing in 1911, almost 50 years after the beginning of the church.
The Rev. W.B. Ashburn took over, and in 1916 the Rev. Lovelace Alexander took his place. Under Alexander’s direction, the church continued to prosper, and the congregation was ready to build a new home.
A German architect was hired to design the building, and Mt. Sinai members who were brickmasons helped to complete the building of the church.
Additions have been made to the original building. Classrooms, a dining room, kitchen, an office, a boardroom and bathrooms were added in the first addition to the building. The church continued to add on with a second addition, and a Family Life Center that featured a larger dining room and additional classrooms have also been added.
The brick building that had served Mt. Sinai since 1921 was officially added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Since the retirement of Alexander, only six other ministers have served at Mt. Sinai to work to preserve its heritage.
Currently, the church is pastored by the Rev. Dr. William Lang, and he has served at the church for seven years.
The yearlong celebration of the church will come to a climax on Nov. 25. The church is hosting a worship service and dinner.