July 4 closings announced
Published 9:18 pm Tuesday, June 30, 2020
In observance of Independence Day, Suffolk city offices will be closed Friday, July 3. Operations will resume at 8:30 a.m. Monday; however, the majority of City of Suffolk facilities, as well as the Treasurer’s Office and the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office inside City Hall and their satellite offices at the North Suffolk Library, remain closed to the public until further notice due to the impacts of COVID-19.
The City observes all State-designated holidays. Independence Day is considered a holiday for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and all state offices are closed on this day.
The following facilities, departments and services will observe the following schedule:
4There will be no changes to the trash and recycling collection schedule for Friday. The Suffolk Public Works Department reminds residents that trash must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, please call Public Works at 514-7630.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) Transfer Station in Suffolk and Regional Landfill will be open from 8 a.m. to noon or until all member communities have completed their collection routes on Friday. All SPSA facilities will be closed on Saturday.
- Suffolk Transit will operate as normally scheduled on Friday. Suffolk Transit will not operate on Saturday.
- All Suffolk Parks & Recreation Planet Recreation Summer Camp sites will be closed Friday. These include the Booker T. Washington, Creekside and Mack Benn Jr. recreation centers.
- The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed Friday and Saturday. The Suffolk Parks & Recreation Administrative Office will be closed Friday.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Sleepy Hole, Constant’s Wharf Park & Marina and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open Friday; however, no park attendant will be on duty. The Stars & Stripes Spectacular scheduled for Saturday at Constant’s Wharf Park & Marina was previously canceled.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed Friday and Saturday.
- All Suffolk Public Library locations — Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk and Chuckatuck — will be closed for operations on Friday and Saturday. The curbside pickup program will not be available on Friday due to the holiday.
- The Suffolk Visitor Center and Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be closed on Friday.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport Terminal will not be manned on Friday. The airfield, self-serve fuel island, and restaurant will be open on Friday. The airport will be staffed for regular operations on Saturday.