City holiday closings announced
Published 6:37 pm Friday, December 17, 2021
In observance of the Christmas holiday, City of Suffolk offices will be closed Thursday, Dec. 23 and Friday, Dec. 24. Normal operations will resume at 8:30 a.m. Monday, Dec. 27. The city observes all state-designated holidays. Christmas is considered a holiday for the Commonwealth of Virginia, and all State offices are closed on these days.
The following facilities, departments and services will observe the following schedule:
- The Suffolk Public Works Department and TFC Recycling will pick up trash and recycling as regularly scheduled Dec. 21-24. The Suffolk Public Works Department reminds you that cans must be placed at curbside no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection. For more information on refuse collection, please call Public Works at 514-7630.
- From Dec. 28 through Jan. 7, the Suffolk Department of Public Works Refuse Division will collect all Christmas trees and boxes as a special collection. During this time, Christmas trees and boxes will not be counted towards the 12 free special collections. Any Christmas trees put out for collection after Jan. 7 will be picked up but will count as a special collection. The trees and boxes will need to be placed at the curb the same day as the residence’s regular collection. The trees do not have to be secured, and the boxes do not have to be collapsed.
- The Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) Transfer Station and Regional Landfill in Suffolk will be open from 8 a.m. to noon on Dec. 24 and will be closed on Dec. 25. SPSA facilities will resume regular business hours on Sunday, Dec. 26.
- Suffolk Transit will run as scheduled on Friday, Dec. 24 and will not be in operation on Saturday, Dec. 25.
- All Suffolk Joint Use Recreation Centers — Mack Benn Jr., Booker T. Washington, King’s Fork, Creekside, Northern Shores and Oakland — will close Monday, Dec. 20 and remain closed until Monday, Jan. 3. The East Suffolk Recreation Center and Whaleyville Recreation Center will be closed Thursday, Dec. 23 and will remain closed until Monday, Dec. 27. The Suffolk Parks & Recreation Administration Office will be closed Thursday, Dec. 23 and Friday, Dec. 24.
- Suffolk’s four major parks — Lone Star Lakes, Constant’s Wharf, Sleepy Hole, and Bennett’s Creek — will remain open Thursday, Dec. 23 and Friday, Dec. 24. However, no park attendant will be on duty.
- The Suffolk Art Gallery will be closed Thursday, Dec. 23 and remain closed until Tuesday, Dec. 28.
- All Suffolk City Libraries — Morgan Memorial, North Suffolk, and Chuckatuck — will be closed Dec. 23-25. Morgan Memorial and North Suffolk Libraries will reopen at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 27.
- The Suffolk Visitor Center and the Suffolk Seaboard Station Railroad Museum will be closed Dec. 24-26. The Visitor Center will reopen at 9 a.m. and the Railroad Museum at 10 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 27.
- The Suffolk Executive Airport terminal will be closed on Saturday, Dec. 25 and will be unmanned Dec. 23-24. The airfield and self-service fuel island will remain open during this time. The restaurant will be closed on Saturday, Dec. 25.