Eligibility issue could derail NR girls soccer season
Published 7:40 pm Friday, May 13, 2022
An eligibility issue regarding a player on the Nansemond River girls soccer team could force the team to forfeit games and derail what has been a strong season to date.
According to a May 5 letter from the school’s principal, Dr. Shawn Green, Nansemond River was notified two days earlier that a player on its girls soccer team may have been ineligible to play.
“An investigation was conducted and the allegations were found to be true,” Green wrote. “As a result of the findings, the team may have to forfeit seven games.”
Email newsletter signup
Green said the school had been in the process of following up on all Virginia High School League protocols in an effort to appeal the ineligibility of the player.
VHSL Director of Communications Mike McCall said Friday morning he had nothing yet to report on where things stand regarding the Nansemond River girls soccer team. Green, along with school Activities Director Kristy Bell and division Activities Director Richard Fortune, were not immediately available for comment Friday.
The Warriors won their game at Oscar Smith 7-2 Thursday and have three games remaining, versus Grafton and Western Branch at home Monday and Tuesday, respectively, and at Warwick Thursday.
The Southeastern District website, as of Friday, still lists the team’s record at 10-1-2 — the Warriors’ only official loss coming 3-1 at home to Great Bridge. It has outscored opponents 55-13 and has posted five shutouts.
A parent of two players on the team, Matthew Carr said the issue was first reported following Nansemond River’s May 3 game at Deep Creek, a 6-2 win for the Warriors. He said the issue involved a player who transferred from Deep Creek to Nansemond River, and has a parent who works at each school.