Officials: Worst of the storm likely gone, but dangers remainPublished 3:32pm Monday, October 29, 2012
The worst of the storm has passed Hampton Roads, officials said, but the potential for downed trees and flooding remains.
“Hampton Roads has experienced, we believe, the peak of the storm, although they still have about 24 hours of rain and wind left,” Gov. Bob McDonnell said in a press conference Monday afternoon.
However, those hours of rain and wind could still bring dangers, so McDonnell urged people to expect power outages and stay off the roads if they don’t have to be out.
“Our prime request today and tomorrow … is don’t go out,” McDonnell said, noting that data on accidents the last couple days indicate people are mostly staying home. “I thank the citizens for their prudence and common sense.”
As of 1 p.m. Monday, only about 57,000 Dominion Virginia Power customers had lost electricity, and all but 6,000 had been restored, said Rodney Blevins, vice president for distribution operations for Dominion.
But risk increases the more the ground gets saturated, he said.
“We encourage customers to keep our contact information close by,” Blevins said.
At 3:30 p.m., only eight Dominion customers in Suffolk were out of power.
McDonnell said he plans to make an application Monday for federal assistance for the state’s response in dealing with the storm. Other states to the north have already received pre-landfall declarations as disaster areas.