Food, pet supply drive honors RichardsonPublished 8:57pm Saturday, November 17, 2012
For the third year, the family of 23-year-old Hunter Richardson, who was killed by a drunk driver in a pedestrian accident on Thanksgiving weekend 2009, will honor his memory by holding a drive to help both people and pets.
Richardson, a graduate of Nansemond-Suffolk Academy and Virginia Tech, loved people and pets. His family decided the best way to honor his life was to hold a drive to help the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Suffolk Humane Society.
Through Nov. 30, people can drop off canned and nonperishable food items, as well as pet food and pet-related items, at eight locations throughout Hampton Roads.
Last year, the drive resulted in donating almost 5,000 meals and 1,000 pounds of pet food and supplies, and the family hopes to surpass those numbers this year.
“Hunter was everything you could want in a son, grandson, nephew or friend,” said his aunt, Kathy Richardson Shores. “So many people are challenged to feed their families and care for their pets these days. We hope that those who can help will bring items to these locations so that we can help others have a better holiday, and we can honor Hunter’s loving spirit.”
Monetary donations are also welcomed by both groups, with checks made payable to either the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, 800 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk, VA 23504 or Suffolk Humane, P.O. Box 5038, Suffolk, VA 23435.
The locations are:
- Bennett’s Creek Pharmacy, 3219 Bridge Road, Suffolk
- The Market (at Eclipse), 1604 Bridge Road, Suffolk
- El Burrito Mexican Restaurant, 13478 Carrollton Road, Carrollton
- Centenary United Methodist Church, 3312 Cedar Lane, Portsmouth
- Amory’s Seafood Restaurant, 2449 Taylor Road, Chesapeake
- Mario’s Classic Italiano, 611 Airline Blvd., Portsmouth
- Tidewater Studio for Arts, Tyre Neck Road, Chesapeake
- The Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, 800 Tidewater Drive, Norfolk (Warehouse hours 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday)
Items especially needed by the humane society include the following:
- Purina Pro Chicken and Rice kitten food
- Purina Pro Chicken and Rice cat food
- Purina Pro Plan canned kitten food
- Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR) Powdered Formula
- Puppy formula (powdered)
- Dog treats
- Cat carriers
- Collapsible style dog crates
- Water bottles for cat cages
- Cat toys
- Cat scratching posts
- Dog toys
- Cat grooming combs, brushes, rakes
- Cat collars (breakaway style)
- Dog collars and leashes (especially for small and medium dogs)
- Tidy Cat litter (clumping style)
- Laundry detergent (scent-free)
- Hand sanitizer and wipes
- Blankets and towels (used)
For more information, contact Shores at 692-4188, Suffolk Humane at 538-3030 or the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia at 627-6599.