Grayson leads KFHS track effortPublished 10:39pm Friday, March 15, 2013
King’s Fork High School had a particularly strong showing at the first Southeastern District regular season boys’ and girls’ track and field meets this week.
The boys competed on Thursday at Grassfield High School, while the girls were in action on Wednesday at Lakeland High School.
The King’s Fork boys’ team finished fourth and was supercharged by the addition of East Carolina-bound football player Davon Grayson. He finished first in the 100-meter dash (11.82 seconds) and first in the long jump with a leap of 21 feet and two inches. He also came in second in the high jump.
“We’re glad to have him out there,” King’s Fork coach Marvin Ricks said. “He did a really good job without competing last year. I think he went (6-foot-2-inches) in the high jump, so he just missed a state-qualifying mark in the high jump, and he did pretty good. Pretty cold meet, and very, very windy; we ran into a lot of headwinds and stuff, but he had a very good day.”
The Bulldogs’ ‘A’ relay team placed first in the 4×100-meter relay event with a time of 44.36 seconds. Nansemond River’s ‘A’ team ruled the 4×400-meter relay, finishing first in 3:42.43.
In the girls’ meet, King’s Fork swept the top three spots in the 200-meter dash with Roneka Spady taking first in 26.48 seconds, followed by Gabrielle Snipes (26.53) and Brittany Dickens (27.10).
Danielle Hill won the 400-meter dash in 1:03.28 and Te’Shaibrah Myles took first in the pole vault with a 9-foot-6-inch mark.
For the relays, the Bulldogs won the 4×100 in 50.19 seconds.
Despite the good marks, Ricks indicated “we’re just using these earlier meets just as training sessions, so we’re not unveiling anything yet. We’re just training through.”
Lakeland was in training too, but also scored a first-place finisher through its 4×400-meter relay team (4:34.91). The meets served as excellent learning opportunities for the myriad ninth- and 10th-graders on the Cavaliers’ teams.
“We’re very young, but we’re very talented,” Cavs head coach Kevin Knight said. “That’s just a great thing for us.”
The next district meet for the boys is on March 21 at Lakeland; the girls’ meet will be held March 27 at King’s Fork.
Following are the results for the Southeastern District regular season boys’ track and field meet on March 14:
Individual results and top Suffolk finishers
- 100-meter dash: 1st-Grayson, Davon KF 11.82; 3rd-Piersawl III, Micheal, LHS 12.16
- 200-meter dash: 1st-Hunt, Robert HHS 23.45; 2nd-Matthews, Thomas NR 24.04
- 400-meter dash: 1st-Smith, Kevin IR 52.65; 3rd-Stokley, Jordan LHS 54.58
- 800-meter run: 1st-Boyd, Brandon WB 2:04.26; 4th-Gipson, Brandon KF 2:07.39
- 1600-meter run: 1st-Midkiff, Alex GHS 4:31.63; 15th-Littlejohn, Benjamin, NR 5:07.79
- 3200-meter run: 1st-Charity, Bruce WB 10:16.83; 2nd-Barbish, John WB 10:22.43
- 110-meter hurdles: 1st-Grant, Deonte WB 18.37; 5th-Kluck, Ryan KF 20.79
- 300-meter hurdles: 1st-Chiles, Gregory WB 41.24; 9th-Elliott, Tommy NR 47.08
- 4×100-meter relay: 1st-King’s Fork ‘A’ 44.36; 3rd-Lakeland ‘A’ 46.55
- 4×400-meter relay: 1st-Nansemond River ‘A’ 3:42.43; 2nd-Hickory ‘A’ 3:46.35
- 4×800-meter relay: 1st-Grassfield ‘B’ 8:43.08; 3rd-Nansemond River ‘A’ 9:00.12
- High Jump: 1st-Jones, Bradley OS 6-04.00; 2nd-Grayson, Davon KF 6-02.00; 2nd-Cahill, Tristen OS 6-02.00
- Pole Vault: 1st-Harrell, Joshua GHS 10-00.00; 2nd-Witz, Cody GHS 8-06.00
- Long Jump: 1st-Grayson, Davon KF 21-02.00; 2nd-Harper, Isaiah GHS 20-11.50
- Triple Jump: 1st-Jones, Marcus GHS 43-05.00; 2nd-Smith, Marcus OS 41-01.00
- Shot Put: 1st-Solorzano, Cameron GHS 46-06.00; 8th-Rodgers, Chris LHS 39-08.00
- Discus Throw: 1st-Milner, Matt DC 139-08; 6th-Smiley, Kenneth NR 101-05
Following the results for the Southeastern District regular season girls’ track and field meet on March 13:
Individual results and top Suffolk finishers
- 100-meter dash: 1st-Ononiwu, Chidiuto GB 13.27; 3rd-Myles, Te’Shaibrah KF 13.59
- 200-meter dash: 1st-Spady, Roneka KF 26.48; 2nd-Snipes, Gabrielle KF 26.53; 3rd-Dickens, Brittany KF 27.10
- 400-meter dash: 1st-Hill, Danielle KF 1:03.28; 5th-Hashigami, Kana KF 1:05.92
- 800-meter run: 1st-Schroeder, Monica GHS 2:30.51; 3rd-Albright, Alexis LHS 2:34.88
- 1600-meter run: 1st-Murphy, Morgan HHS 5:44.11
- 3200-meter run: 1st-Cunniffe, Carolyn GHS 11:22.03
- 100-meter hurdles: 1st-Oluwole, Funlayo WB 16.81; 5th-Brown, Morgan NR 18.83
- 300-meter hurdles: 1st-Coleman, Erika GHS 52.77; 1st-Oluwole, Funlayo WB 52.77
- 4×100-meter relay: 1st-Kings Fork ‘A’ 50.19; 4th-Lakeland ‘A’ 56.16
- 4×400-meter relay: 1st-Lakeland ‘A’ 4:34.91; 3rd-Nansemond River ‘A’ 4:44.33
- 4×800-meter relay: 1st-Grassfield ‘A’ 10:59.62; 2nd-Nansemond River ‘A’ 11:25.47
- High Jump: 1st-Smith, Jade GHS 5-00.00
- Pole Vault: 1st-Myles, Te’Shaibrah KF 9-06.00
- Long Jump: 1st-Snipes, Gabrielle KF 17-07.00; 8th-Savage, Sharneisha LHS 13-05.75
- Triple Jump: 1st-Fatherly, Jessica GB 32-06.75; 2nd-Rountree, Kiera LHS 30-05.50
- Shot Put: 1st-Ford, Alexis DC 34-00.00; 4th-Hinson, Hannah KF 31-02.50
- Discus Throw: 1st-Johnston, Elizabeth HHS 96-06; 4th-Hinson, Hannah KF 74-04