Big plays drop Bulldogs

Published 11:55 pm Friday, October 24, 2008

CHESAPEAKE – Great Bridge’s Logan Heastie showed what the Mountaineers of West Virginia see in him on Friday night. Two 90-plus yard touchdowns by Heastie in the first 3:25 after halftime turned a close halftime score into a 24-7 Great Bridge lead and the Wildcats went on to a 38-17 victory.

The win keeps the Wildcats (5-4, 4-4) at least in the picture for the Division 5 playoffs. The Bulldogs (4-5, 3-5), who entered Friday night two spots behind the final playoff spot in the Div. 5 power ratings, will probably be too far out to make it up with one game remaining in the regular season.

Heastie’s dynamic plays were the opening kick of the second half and a 90-yard return by Heastie for a touchdown. Then on Great Bridge’s first play from scrimmage in the half, from the Wildcat 2, Brad Hudson threw down the right numbers to Heastie, who hauled in the pass, broke away from a King’s Fork tackler, then sprinted away from the rest of the Bulldogs for the final 60 yards and a 98-yard touchdown.

Email newsletter signup

What took place in the three minutes between Heastie’s big plays was key to the night as well. The Bulldogs, mainly via a 34-yard pass from Laray Kindred to Mike Mason, moved from their own 40 to 4th-and-goal at the Great Bridge 3.

On fourth down, a quarterback draw by Kindred was stopped at the line, returning the ball to the Wildcats. Earlier in the night, late in the second period, a Bulldog drive into Wildcat territory ended on a 4th-and-1 at the Wildcat 32 as a quarterback run up the middle was stopped up by the Great Bridge defense.

The night started perfectly for the Bulldogs. Receiving the opening kick, the Bulldogs only needed a 3-yard screen pass to Mason, then a 60-yard catch-and-run from Kindred to Stephen Riddick down the left sideline, then a 17-yard touchdown pass by Kindred to a leaping Mason in the right side of the end zone.

The Bulldog defense repeatedly pressured Hudson and stopped Great Bridge plays for losses through the first three Wildcat possessions of the game. The Wildcats broke through, however, with a 76-yard drive in the second period capped by a 25-yard pass from Hudson to Rudy Raynor.

After KF’s drive ended in a failed fourth-down attempt, Great Bridge took over with 2:58 left in the half.

The Wildcats faced 4th-and-4 at the KF 41 with 1:10 left before the Bulldogs jumped offsides to give Great Bridge a first down. A 30-yard pass to Heastie moved the Wildcats inside the Bulldog 10, but the Bulldogs forced Great Bridge into 4th-and-goal from the 2.

With the clock ticking under 10 seconds, it seemed as though Great Bridge would get a play off, but the Bulldogs called time out with six seconds left. The Wildcats were able to send out their field goal unit and a 19-yard field goal gave Great Bridge a 10-7 halftime lead.

Heastie’s two touchdowns quickly turned the Wildcat lead into a three-possession margin.

The Bulldogs cut the lead on a couple occasions. A fumbled snap by Hudson, and a recovery for the Bulldogs by Derek Wright, set up King’s Fork on the Wildcat 7. Two plays later, A.J. Harper scored on a 2-yard run. Add a kick by Allen Kelly, and Great Bridge led 24-14 with 5:15 in the third period. Kelly booted a 24-yard field goal in the fourth quarter, making the score 31-17 Great Bridge with 9:26 left.

Great Bridge’s offense, more specifically its passing game, was too good for the Bulldogs to make any more progress. Hudson finished 16-for-28 passing for 349 yards and four touchdowns. Heastie had five catches for 156 yards. Carvin Powell had six catches for 157 yards and a touchdown.

For the Bulldogs, Kindred was 13-for-24 passing for 180 yards, a touchdown and an interception. King’s Fork’s usual running game was shut down as Harper managed only 15 yards on nine carries and Kindred rushed 11 times for three yards. Riddick, with six catches and 107 yards, was the top Bulldog receiver. Defensively, Dominique Patterson had two tackles for loss and a sack; Riddick had 1.5 sacks.