Great Bridge upsets Warriors

Published 1:22 pm Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Great Bridge Wildcats defeated the Nansemond River Warriors basketball team for just the second time this decade on Tuesday night, winning 55-51. The Wildcats managed to keep the game close in the first half, and were powered by many small scoring runs in the second half to beat the Warriors.

There was minimal scoring in the first quarter with the score being 9-6 NR after one period. Brian Clarke looked like he was ready to break the game open for the Warriors after scoring on a contested layup in transition to put NR up 14-7, but Clarke received a technical foul for allegedly taunting after he scored. Great Bridge missed both technical foul shots but scored in the lane when they received the ball after the free throws.

Dion Bivens scored on a mid-range jump shot at the 3:40 mark to put the Warriors up 16-9. A proceeding Wildcat three-point field goal cut the Warrior lead to 4 at the 2:35 point in the second quarter. Great Bridge managed to score two field goals in the last thirty seconds of the quarter to make the score 22-17 in favor of Nansemond River at the half.

Email newsletter signup

Bivens started the second half off with a three point field goal to give the Warriors a 25-17 lead.

Great Bridge chipped away at the lead until taking a 30-29 lead at the 3:18 mark of the third period. A run early in the fourth period put the Wildcats up by as many as eight points with 5:23 left in the game.

Two David Long free throws helped stop the bleeding cutting the Wildcat lead to two, 46-44, at the 3:05 mark. After a frantic scuffle for the ball under the Great Bridge basket, Bivens was found wide open at halfcourt and double-pumped in the air to score on a layup while being fouled. Bivens missed the free throw that would’ve gave Nansemond River the lead at the 2:33 point, instead tying the game 46-46.

In the most frenetic play of the game, Morris Johnson, in his first game back from a team suspension, stole the ball from Great Bridge but turned it over when trying to put the ball behind his back. Another scuffle incurred on the Wildcat end of the floor, with Bivens coming out on top with the ball but missing a contested layup and the putback attempt.

A Great Bridge three pointer at the 1:27 mark gave the Wildcats the lead 49-46. A Nansemond River mishap caused a turnover forcing the Warriors to foul. Great Bridge converted both free throws to make it a two-possession game.

Dontrell Silver weaved through the lane to score on a layup with 0:57 remaining, NR then called timeout. The Warriors were in the double bonus at this point and didn’t want to foul, so Great Bridge managed to stall until the 0:09 mark, forcing the Warriors to foul. The Wildcats made both free throws to make it a two-possession game.

Silver scored on a three point basket to cut the lead to two. The Warriors allowed Great Bridge to inbound the ball and then fouled with 0:03 remaining and called timeout. Great Bridge again converted free throws to ice the game 55-51.

Dion Bivens led the Warriors with 17 points and eight rebounds followed by Silver with 11 points and Summers with 10 points and 12 rebounds.

The Warriors will hit their toughest two-game stretch of the season when they travel to second-place Indian River on Thursday and cross-town rival King’s Fork on Friday. King’s Fork, ranked number No. 3 in the state, beat the Warriors 78-64 on Dec. 19.