Space heater caused fire

Published 10:19 pm Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A space heater caused the fire that sent a Suffolk woman to the hospital Tuesday night.

Just before 11 p.m., Suffolk Fire and Rescue responded to a residential fire in a one-story house in the 800 block of Garfield Ave., off Pitchkettle Road. Firefighters arrived at the home to find fire visible in a window and smoke coming from the structure’s eaves.

The woman, who was able to escape the house before firefighters arrived, was treated for smoke inhalation at Sentara Obici Hospital. She is staying with relatives.

Email newsletter signup

Damage to the house was estimated at $6,000, with damage to contents estimated about $4,000.