Warriors put away pesky Bulldogs in the end

Published 10:12 pm Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The King’s Fork Junior Varsity boys basketball squad was like flies at a 4th of July cookout to the Nansemond River Warriors on Tuesday in the King’s Fork Summer League.

In a fast-paced, physical, and sometimes out-of-control game, the Warriors persevered against the Bulldogs 51-35. For most of the game it seemed that neither of the teams could gain the necessary advantage to blow the game open, with Nansemond River trying to play a half-court offensive game and the Bulldogs wanting to get out into the open court and run the fastbreak.

There was minimal scoring in the first half, Ashton Moore was the catalyst for the Warriors as far as scoring and running the offense. He set up Dimmagio Leach with a no look pass that led to a reverse layup with 1:05 remaining in the first half to give NR a 18-9 lead.

Email newsletter signup

Kings Fork would made two free throws on their next trip down to cut the lead back to seven, and would nail a pull-up jump shot with 15.0 remaining to make the score 20-13 at the half.

The Warriors got off to a fast start in the first nine minutes of the second half, building their lead to 14 following another Moore assist to Malcolm Coleman.

The Bulldogs rallied and took advantage of three consecutive Warriors turnovers to cut the lead to two, 34-32, at the 4:00 point of the second half.

NR’s Shannon Evans was fouled on a made basket to put the Warriors up back by six. Evans missed the free throw.

Moore scored on a contested layup two minutes later to give the Warriors a 42-32 lead followed by a three-point play by Mike Copeland to seal the game for the Warriors.

Following the Nansemond River/Kings Fork (JV) game, Kings Fork’s varsity team took the court against Warwick and routed the Raiders 63-34.

After a back-and-forth start for the first five minutes, Devante Gardner scored on a spin move in the post giving KF a 9-6 lead.

A Dion Bivens drive to the basket for a basket gave the Bulldogs a 14-7 lead. Gardner knocked down a three from the top of the key making the score 21-13 at the 7:20 point of the first half.

A Warwick three followed by a steal and dunk cut the Bulldog lead to four at the 4:35 point. This would be the last run of any sort for Warwick, as King’s Fork ended the half on a 12-2 run, making the score 34-20 at the half.

KF stretched its run into the second half, beginning with a 14-0 run, highlighted by two thunderous dunks from Jay Copeland.

In other Suffolk action on Tuesday, Lakeland defeated Heritage in a nail-biter, 49-43. The Cavaliers played Norcom in their second game, but lost 48-46.

The summer league at King’s Fork comes to a close on Thursday night with the semifinals and final. The first game of the tripleheader starts at 6 p.m.