Lightning caused Chuckatuck fire

Published 10:11 pm Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lightning was the cause of a fire in a vacant house near Chuckatuck Wednesday evening, a city spokeswoman said.

Suffolk Fire and Rescue and Chuckatuck Fire departments responded to the fire, in the 5600 block of Godwin Boulevard, around 7:30 p.m. Firefighters found smoke and flames coming from the attic area of the single-story residence.

The fire was brought under control within an hour, but not before the home suffered serious fire, smoke and water damage.

Email newsletter signup

No injuries were reported. The home has been vacant for nearly a year.

Godwin Boulevard was closed for about an hour and a half while firefighters battled the blaze.