Ex-Suffolk city employee indicted

Published 11:10 pm Friday, August 28, 2009

A former city of Suffolk employee was indicted by the grand jury Wednesday for embezzling money from the city.

In a separate incident, a former attorney was indicted for embezzling money from a church in the city.

Cynthia Lynn Moore, a former purchasing agent for the city, was indicted on one charge of embezzling by a public officer in Wednesday’s report. Moore is accused of using her city charge card to purchase items for personal use, Debbie George, city spokeswoman, said.

Email newsletter signup

Moore had worked for Suffolk for about three years, George said. The charges, made between July and December 2008, were discovered in December 2008.

“Her employment with the city ended in December of 2008, soon after the discovery of these charges,” George said.

In a separate case, Anne Marston Lynch, a former attorney in the city, was indicted for felony embezzlement. The case file revealed she had embezzled property or money worth more than $200 belonging to St. John’s Episcopal Church in Chuckatuck in October 2006.

The file did not, however, reveal what it was she had embezzled. Phone messages left at the church and with the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s investigator were not returned.

Lynch has been in trouble with the court systems earlier this year, after her repeated failure to comply with court orders got her indefinitely disbarred from the Virginia Court of Appeals. She had practiced with the downtown firm of Pretlow & Pretlow.

Lynch filed a petition in March 2008, asking for leave to withdraw as court-appointed attorney in the case of a local man charged with criminal acts. In her filing, she said that she believed the man’s appeal was “without merit,” according to the Court of Appeals of Virginia.

Later that month, the appellate court denied Lynch’s motion to withdraw as counsel, and it ordered Lynch to file an amended petition for appeal within 15 days. Lynch failed to do so, and also failed to respond to further orders in April and August. The court issued an order for Lynch to appear in person in Richmond on Jan. 7 — an appointment for which Lynch did not show up.

Lynch arrived for an appearance the following week, at which a three-judge panel of the appellate court found her in contempt of court, ordered her to pay a $1,000 fine and disbarred her from practice in the appellate court for at least three years.

In May, the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board suspended Lynch’s license for one year after finding she had violated professional rules in five cases.