Bruins edge Nansemond River for one-point victory

Published 7:12 pm Saturday, September 26, 2009

Last Friday after Nansemond River’s football team lost to Wilson 13-7, talk of a winless season rang louder than ever as the Warriors couldn’t beat a team they’d beaten the past three seasons.

Yet, on Friday night, the Warriors were on the verge of quieting those skeptics as they took on winless Western Branch. They’ll have to wait another week to try and prove skeptics wrong.

The Warriors would lose in a shocker to many, going down to the Bruins 10-9 in a game where a missed extra point in the third quarter would prove to be the final margin for the Warriors.

Email newsletter signup

The first quarter was rough for both teams as they both went scoreless to start. The Warriors were fortunate enough to survive two interceptions by sophomore quarterback Kyle Moore.

The Warriors’ opportunities were plentiful during the game though. At the 9:30 point in the second quarter the Bruins were called for three penalties consecutively that resulted in 50 yards taken away. The Bruins failed in an attempt at a fake punt giving the Warriors the ball at WB’s 25-yard line.

NR couldn’t take advantage like many times on the night, and went three and out on the drive. On the ensuing punt, Warrior punter Brent McPherson was hit, drawing a flag on Western Branch and giving the Warriors the ball back with 3:53 remaining.

After several long gains by running back Lamont Brown, the Warriors got down to the Bruin 5-yard line. After three rushing plays, the Warriors had to settle for a field goal and Logan Woolston made the kick to put his team up 3-0 at the half.

The Warriors opened the second half with the ball, again got inside the red zone, but this time came away with no points.

Nansemond River’s defense tried to make up for the lack of offense, making a stand against the Bruins and almost forcing them to go three downs and out. The Bruins attempted a fake punt again and were successful this time as it resulted in a 20-yard gain.

The play would be a dagger to the Warrior momentum as two minutes later the Bruins got into the end zone on a 3-yard run on a 4th and 3, taking a 7-3 lead.

Brown returned the kick all the way down to the WB 39. A personal foul call on Western Branch moved the Warriors down to the 24-yard line.

After gains by Brown and Benjamin Dubois on the ground, the Warriors found themselves in the red zone again and were not able to capitalize. An overthrown pass to Bernard Jennings could have resulted in a touchdown.

After both teams punted on their first drives of the fourth quarter, the Warriors put together a drive, led by two long gains by Brown. Brown finished the night with 164 yards on 26 carries.

Moore and Jennings redeemed there earlier mishap, connecting in the corner of the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown pass with 7:32 remaining. Woolston missed the extra point to the left, leaving the Warriors at a 9-7 lead.

The Bruins took advantage of the opening, driving the ball down the field with an array of passing plays.

The Bruins took the lead with a 22-yard field goal with 5:36 remaining.

Dubois struggled with the ensuing kickoff return and the Warriors took over from their own 15. The offense couldn’t make plays when they needed them the most, and on 4th and 11 the Warriors opted to punt instead of going for it with 3:53 remaining.

The Bruins were able to run the ball and eventually kneel on it to run out the clock and seal their first win of the season.

The Warriors (0-4, 0-3) must travel to take on top-ranked Oscar Smith next Friday night.