Warriors get first win of the season

Published 11:55 pm Friday, October 16, 2009

This season has been a year of unfortunate breaks and tough losses for Nansemond River’s football team.

Two of their losses have come by less than a touchdown and the Warriors led at halftime in two of their last three games.

But on Friday night, the ball finally bounced the Warriors’ way as they defeated Hickory 14-13 to get their first win of the season.

Email newsletter signup

Playing on a wet, slippery, and muddy field, the weather conditions made it almost impossible for either team to pass on the night. Under a freezing rain, the Warriors defense made one final stand to seal their team’s first win.

After both teams’ first drives stalled out, Hickory put the first points on the board. The Hawks would drive the length, paving the way for a Rasheed Thomas 1-yard touchdown run with 5:43 remaining in the first quarter.

Hickory intentionally kicked the ensuing kickoff short and it landed in the hands of NR linebacker Terrance Hardy. Hardy would surprise the Hawks though, returning the ball to their 38-yard line.

After several short gains by the Warriors, sophomore quarterback Kyle Moore threw an interception with 1:39 remaining in the first quarter giving the Hawks the ball at their own 17 yard line.

The Warriors would rebound in the second quarter though. Bernard Jennings scored on a 30-yard reverse. NR’s extra point attempt was blocked.

Hickory responded with a touchdown. After NR was flagged for a late hit on a 10-yard gain by the Hawks, they got the ball at the NR 19.

On the next play, Larry Johnson ran into end zone untouched to give the Hawks a 13-6 lead. Hickory missed a two-point conversion.

Both teams would not score in the third quarter, setting up a finish that would come down to the last plays of the game.

After a Hickory punt the Warriors got the ball at the Hawk 30.

After several Hickory penalties and gains on the ground by Lamont Brown, the Warriors were at the Hickory 17-yard line with 5:53 remaining.

Backup running back Stephen Neville covered all of those yards on his way to the end zone to bring NR within a 13-12 deficit. Moore rushed his way in to complete the two-point conversion, and take a 14-13 lead.

After Hickory failed to get a first down on the ensuing drive, the Warriors got the ball back again. The Warriors would be forced to punt however, leaving the pressure on the defense to win the game, with 2:50 remaining.

Hickory gained a first down on their first series, but the Warriors stopped the Hawks on fourth down with 1:15 remaining.

The Warriors would run the ball once and take a knee, sealing their first win of the season.

Nansemond River (1-6, 1-5) takes on defending state champion Oscar Smith at home next Friday.