Luau homicide case still pending
Published 10:42 pm Friday, January 22, 2010
The daughter of a woman who died in August after being pushed at a senior event is wondering why her mother’s attacker has not yet been charged.
“As of today, nothing has been brought against this woman,” Denise Tynes said last week. Tynes is the daughter of Elizabeth Newby, 83, who died two weeks after the senior luau in August.
Newby was attending the luau at the Suffolk National Guard Armory on Aug. 12 when another attendee, a 58-year-old female, allegedly pushed her down when she believed Newby was cutting in line for entry to the event.
Newby and another senior, age 89, fell down. Newby suffered a broken hip, and died Aug. 26 because of complications from the injury. The case was ruled a homicide in November.
“That matter is still under investigation,” said Suffolk Commonwealth’s Attorney, Phil Ferguson. “There were a number of things we needed to get, and it’s taking a while to get it all. We’re moving forward on it as quickly as we can.”
Tynes said it seems like the process is taking too long — especially when her mother’s attacker still has her freedom.
“I was just really concerned why they’re procrastinating,” said Tynes. The suspect’s name has not been released because she has not been formally charged.
“I don’t know why this case is pending,” Tynes said. “It seems like they’ve had enough time now.”