NSA raises $45,000

Published 8:47 pm Wednesday, March 24, 2010

February’s snowstorm may have caused the Nansemond-Suffolk Academy 24th annual Art Show and Sale to reschedule, but it could not put a damper on its success.

The show raked in $45,000 for the school.

“That was our goal, and it was very exciting to meet it despite the economy and the weather,” said Melissa Hlinovsky, NSA special events coordinator.

Email newsletter signup

During the event, including the opening ceremony on Feb. 6, the halls of the lower school were filled with the works of over 170 artists.

Various mediums — paintings, glass, jewelry and more — were sold anywhere from $25 to $7,000. The total amount of artwork sold was more than $112,000.

Of sold art, 65 percent of the money is kept by the artist. The remaining 35 percent is contributed to the school.

Funds are also derived from sponsorships, for which individuals pay to partake in a dinner and special preview and buying opportunity.

“We raised more money than we did last year, which is great,” Hlinovsky said. “The weather wasn’t cooperating, but we did a lot of Facebook, Twitter, emailing and really pushed it.”

And the public pulled through for them — both by buying pieces and volunteering.

“Everybody came out to support us, and almost everyone who came out, came to buy,” she said. “And our volunteers helped so much in keeping up with us and being ready and willing to do whatever was necessary.”

All funds go toward the academy’s Fine Arts and Endowment Program.