Suffolk golfer shooting low at Jr. Amateur
Suffolk’s Preston Leigh is well up the leaderboard through day two of the Virginia State Golf Association Junior Amateur Championship being played out in the Blue Ridge Mountains at Roanoke Country Club.
Leigh, who graduated from Greenbrier Christian this spring, shot one-over-par 72 Tuesday and two-over-par 73 Wednesday.
Leigh carded four birdies, all on par fours, Tuesday. He made two birdies in his second round. He wasn’t more than one shot over par on any of his nine-hole sides through 36 holes. With Thursday’s final round to go, Leigh is in a tie for 13th place, 11 shots behind the leaders.
During the high school season with the Gators, Leigh led GCA to the Tidewater Conference championship and Virginia Independent Schools Division II state championship, being the medalist in both tournaments.
Richmond’s Bryce Chalkley led after the first round after shooting a seven-under 64, two shots shy of the VSGA Junior Amateur Championship record. Chalkley is a St. Christopher’s graduate and is going to Virginia Tech this fall.
Jake Mondy, a 16-year-old from Blacksburg, shot 65 to be the low player of Wednesday’s round. Mondy and Chalkley, at eight-under par, are co-leaders going into Thursday.
Suffolk’s John David Sanderson shot rounds of 81 and 79 in the first two rounds.
Roanoke Country Club is one of the four founding clubs of the VSGA, being founded in 1899. In 1916, famous course designer A.W. Tillinghast designed 18 of the club’s 27 holes.
58th VSGA Junior Amateur Championship
Roanoke Country Club (par 71, 6,480 yards)
Leaders through two of three rounds
1. Bryce Chalkley (Richmond ) 64-70 134 (-8)
1. Jake Mondy (Blacksburg) 69-65 134 (-8)
3. Jack Adkins (Martinsville) 68-69 137
4. Alex Lloyd (Virginia Beach) 70-69 139
5. Trey Smith (Virginia Beach) 73-67 140
6. Ashton Newsom (Chesapeake) 71-70 141
7. Jack Wilkes (Roanoke) 72-70 142
8. Adam Ball (Richmond) 72-71 143
8. Justin Roberto (Williamsburg) 72-71 143
8. Chris O’Neill (Glen Allen) 71-72 143
8. Mason Stutler (Fredericksburg) 68-75 143
12. Tim Ritter (Centreville) 70-74 144
13. Preston Leigh (Suffolk) 72-73 145
13. Jason Schumacher (Glen Allen) 75-70 145
13. Nick Shedd (Williamsburg) 72-73 145
13. Matthew Ball, Jr. (Richmond) 69-76 145
13. Christopher Kapsak (Richmond) 69-76 145