Firefighters battle blaze on Bute Street Thursday night

Published 10:25 pm Thursday, January 27, 2011

Suffolk firefighters battled a blaze on Bute Street Thursday night.

The single-story residence had smoke pouring from the attic area. At least one resident was home at the time of the fire. She escaped without injury, and firefighters rescued a dog.

Bute Street is a block from Broad Street downtown.

Email newsletter signup

Personnel from Suffolk Fire and Rescue, the Nansemond-Suffolk Volunteer Rescue Squad and Dominion Virginia Power responded to the scene.

The residents were being assisted by the American Red Cross.