Firefighters rescue dog

Published 11:24 pm Friday, January 28, 2011

Suffolk firefighters rescued a small, sweater-clad pup from a home in the 200 block of Bute Street after extinguishing a fire Thursday night.

Rescued pup: Suffolk firefighters rescued this sweater-wearing dog from a burning home Thursday night. The fire started in the kitchen and was ruled accidental.

The fire department responded to the home after receiving a 911 call at about 9 p.m. They found heavy smoke and fire coming from the side and rear of the home. Smoke poured from the eaves of the house as they fought the fire.

They brought the flames under control within about 30 minutes, according to city spokeswoman Debbie George.

Email newsletter signup

When neighbors did not know if anyone might still be inside the residence, firefighters forced entry into the one-story home and rescued the small dog, which squirmed in the arms of a firefighter as it was being carried out of the house.

The owner returned to the residence while firefighters were on scene. She told a reporter she was thankful to be alive.

The fire began in the kitchen and was ruled accidental by the fire marshal’s office, George added.

Personnel from Suffolk Fire and Rescue, the Nansemond-Suffolk Volunteer Rescue Squad and Dominion Virginia Power responded to the scene.

The dog and its owner were assisted by the Suffolk chapter of the American Red Cross.