Four sought in home invasion
Published 11:03 pm Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Suffolk police are seeking four men involved in a home invasion robbery on Third Avenue on Tuesday night.
Police were summoned to the residence in the 600 block after dispatchers received a 911 hang-up call about 11 p.m., city spokeswoman Debbie George said. When dispatchers called the number back, the person who answered the phone said the family, which included a 38-year-old woman and her four children ages 3 to 19, had been robbed at gunpoint.
Police learned that the incident began when a black male, who appeared about 25 years old and who wore a black polo shirt and yellow shorts, came to the door.
Email newsletter signup
The 13-year-old answered the door, and the subject began talking to the 19-year-old daughter, George said.
That’s when three masked gunmen forced their way into the house, demanding money.
“One of them actually choked the 19-year-old,” George said.
The robbers forced the woman and children into a back room and ransacked the house for about 40 minutes, George said. They eventually left with televisions, cellphones and a small amount of cash.
No one was seriously injured in the incident.
“Police don’t have a lot to go on in this case and are asking anyone that saw anything suspicious in that area [Tuesday] night to give Crime Line a call,” George said.
Anyone who has information is asked to call Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP. Callers to Crime Line never have to give their names or appear in court, and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.